Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This means you will have to rebuild your systems. No way around it, because this will change the ABI in GCC, and could render your system completely unstable because of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GCC 4.1 and Glibc 2.4 going stable on x86 and amd64

This means you will have to rebuild your systems. No way around it, because this will change the ABI in GCC, and could render your system completely unstable because of it.

The GCC upgrade guide:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

And once again, yes, you MUST rebuild your system. I can not stress this enough. If your machine is slow, you must endure this update, unless of course you wish to remain at your current GCC, then you must mask the upgraded versions. If you upgrade, then you must recompile your system.

GCC 4.1.1 and glibc 2.4 going stable

As you can guess by the title, the Gentoo base project has announced that sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1 and sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r3 will be going stable on both amd64 and x86 this week because of their use in the upcoming 2006.1 release. The ppc architecture has already switched, when using the 2006.1 profile. Other architectures are working on support and will switch over at a later date. This is a major milestone for Gentoo as it marks a transition from the previously deprecated LinuxThreads to Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL) for glibc. Support for the older versions of glibc with LinuxThreads will remain for x86 in a limited fashion. However, upstream glibc will no longer support LinuxThreads, so bug and security fixes are unlikely. The white paper (PDF) has more information on the design of NPTL. There is a well-written comparison of LinuxThreads and NPTL on IBM DeveloperWorks.

Users on x86 wishing to continue using LinuxThreads are asked to switch to using the "no-nptl" profile for default-linux, or to switch to using a hardened profile.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

thanks for the info. i was already upgrading to GCC 4.1 for improved C99 support (hey, i just like using for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) in my loops ).
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

They did say it would go stable this week didn't they?

Ever since I heard about it on Friday, I've been waiting to do my rebuild until gcc 4 goes stable.

I'm thinking I should install gcc 4 now, and wait until it goes stable for a complete rebuild.

Any ideas? I don't want to rebuild twice...

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have been running GCC 4.1 since, ummm.... it was in portage. Very nice compiler, and a lot of new options.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Have you found any breakage in your travels with gcc 4?

I'm just curious...

weed

The only thing that hasn't compiled is qemu, which has to be built with GCC 3. Other than that, no breakage for me.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Has it been fixed upstream, do you know?

:madly rushes onto google to look it up:

I answered my own question, but that'll take work to get that version stable.

weed

Excellent, emerging now. I'm kind of wondering if there are any noticable changes once I switch to 4.1.1 and re-emerge the sistem? Noticable in the day-to-day usage, I mean?

Looks like I'll be up for a while

Yeah, same.

I noticed tonight that gcc 4 went stable, and I had a mini party.

Finally. Goodness at my feet.

PS: It's taking forever to compile on my Sempron laptop.

Oh well.

weed

Well, its seems like it's actually gonna work. After some troubles with changing the CHOST setting, I'm finally running the emerge -e sistem. It tossed out an error the first time when it came to gcc, so I went through it about 15 packages at a time. The good news is that I can finally go to sleep

(it's 3:29 in the morning)

emerge -e world comes tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast