Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I boot Gentoo I get the error eth0 doies not exist. So, in accordence with another forum, I've installed the driver for my ethernet card and now I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can't modprobe e100, invalid file format

When I boot Gentoo I get the error eth0 doies not exist. So, in accordence with another forum, I've installed the driver for my ethernet card and now I am trying to modprobe it. Here's my error:

FATAL: Error inserting e100 (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r4/kernel/drivers/net/e100.ko): Invalid file format

Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks for any help.
    -Brian
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

Is the module built with the same version GCC as the kernel was? If not, it will give you this error.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Afraid this is a stupid question...

But, how do I check for that?
    And how would I rebuild the module?

Thanks,
    -Brian
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Did the module come with the kernel sources or did you download it and compile it yourself?

I don't know of a way to check really except to make sure and compile your kernel and module with the same compiler.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    I believe it came with the kernel sources, however I'm not sure. I'm very new to Gentoo, and the the more-configurable distrobutions (I've stuck with SuSE and Mepis pretty much since I've started, but I think it's time to get some real experience) I can tell you when I compiled my kernel, I accidently didn't install the e100 module. So when I rebooted, I make menuconfig-ed my kernel again, and added the module. Then I ran make, and make modules install. I hope that answers your question. Do you think it would be easier to reinstall, with the module? I'm fairly good at reinstalling now.

Thanks a lot
    -Brian

After you recompile your kernel, you must copy it to /boot. Copy your System.map and .config file too.

Then, reboot into your new kernel, and modprobe your module that you need. If you didn't reboot before you tried to load your module, then you would have gotten that error.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Alright, now when I modprobe e100, I'm getting FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-default/modules.dep

When I ls /lib/modules, I find that there is no 2.6.16.13-4-default, only 2.6.17-gentoo-r7, which would explain why it can't find the file.

Also, I haven't configured my bootloader yet, I've been using the SuSE install CD to boot into Gentoo. I've was planning on fixing that after I fixed this...but looking at your last post I wonder if that's causing my problems...?

Thanks again,
    Brian

Sounds to me like you are not booting the correct kernel for your Gentoo installation. Make sure you boot the correct kernel that you built for your Gentoo install.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry