Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Inside Intel's Pentium M/Centrino Rupert Goodwins March 12, 2003 How does Intel's Pentium M processor and Centrino kit of notebook parts deliver new levels of performance and battery life? Our ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Inside Intel's Pentium M/Centrino
    Rupert Goodwins March 12, 2003

How does Intel's Pentium M processor and Centrino kit of notebook parts deliver new levels of performance and battery life? Our Tech Guide gives you the details.http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...0003237,00.htm

Linux User
    Sounds good Juan. I wasn't sure if you were just avoiding me or what. But yeah, I guess I'll just go ahead and compile I just like to get things down pat now. :P

Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance
    OK, and what about this?

General Setup --> Optimize for size (passes -Os rather than O2) Should I enable this?
    No, unless you are very tight on disk space.

Processor Type and features --> Processor Family (You said mine is i386, but do you know if Intel Centrino Duo Core is of the Pentium M family?)
    I'm not sure here, check this site for more info. What are all of the options?

Processor Type and features --> Enable irq balancing
    (What is this?)
    From what I gather you don't need this. I think this comes in handy when you have multiple CPUs, I've heard that people have had problems with this enabled.

Power Management --> ACPI --> Video
    (do I need it as Y? I think I do, from what you've said thus far)
    This is for the video card in the computer, basically it allows you to play with the LCD's brightness. Here's some more info (scroll down to 'Adjust LCD brightness').

I hope all of that helped. Good luck with gentoo

Linux User
    Sweet psic, yeah that helps. Also, my laptop DOES have multiple CPUs, if that's what Intel Duo Core is, so that irq balancing might come in handy I guess. I think I'll google that.

EDIT: Been reading up on irq balancing. Apparently it ****s up the computer real bad if it's enabled in the 2.6 kernel. Does this hold any What about if my computer does have multi-CPUs? Would it work then?

And then, if you can, (if not, say so, then at least I know) what about these questions? I have a laptop, so I want to get battery life out of it, but it's also a high-performance laptop, so I want it to be able to do what it's made to do.

Now for CPU Freq. Scaling:

I am enabling CPU frequency scaling under the impression that I can change the clock speed while in Gentoo using the shell or some other means.

CPU Frequency Scaling --> Enable CPUFreq debugging (Do I need this?) [EDIT: I've picked no, unless there are objections, if there are, say, if not, say. ]

CPU Frequency Scaling --> CPU frequency translation statistics (Do I need this?) [EDIT: I've picked no, unless there are objections, if there are, say, if not, say. ]

CPU Frequency Scaling --> CPU Frequency translation statistics details (Do I need this?) [EDIT: I've picked no, unless there are objections, if there are, say, if not, say. ]

CPU Frequency Scaling --> Default CPUFreq governor (userspace) --> (should I choose performance or userspace?) [EDIT: I've picked the conservative governor, based of this description: "Unlike the ondemand governor, conversative doesn't jump to maximum frequency when CPU load is high, but increases the frequency step by step. Further tuning through files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/. Still requires userland tools (programs, scripts) if governor switching or similar is desired." If there are any suggestions, say, if not, say so too. ]

CPU Frequency Scaling --> should I enable powersave governor or userspace governor? [EDIT: See above. ]

CPU Frequency Scaling --> 'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor sounds sweet, and it makes these previous ones sound redundant. should i enable it? [EDIT: See above. ]

CPU Frequency Scaling --> 'conservative' governor should I enable this? it advises it for laptops. [EDIT: See above. ]

Networking --> Software MAC add-on to the IEEE 802.11 networking stack (Do I need this?)

Based on what I have read, I'd leave the IRQ balancing off. I can't really help you with all of the exact parameters, since I've not tried most of them yet, I don't have a laptop. My advice would be to keep things simple and stable for now, then later on, the next time there's a new kernel in portage, play around with that one like crazy. You'll still have the old, stable kernel to fall back on.

I often upgrade/recompile the kernel, but I always keep a couple of older versions around (and in the grub) just so I have something to boot into should everything go straight to he**.

Networking --> Software MAC add-on to the IEEE 802.11 networking stack (Do I need this?)
    Probably not.

Linux User
    OK, I was attempting today to compile gentoo. I'm currently here in the handbook, attempting to add modules to my kernel: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...kernel_modules

Now when I use the command they give me, it says there is no directory called "find /lib/modules/2.6.17-r5/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'" I checked /lib while in chroot, and indeed, there was no 'modules' directory in my /lib directory.

Soooo.... how can I get it there, to continue my process?

Did you execute "make modules_install" after kernel compilation?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux User
    After configuring my kernel, I save, exit, and the next step it tells me to compile my kernel: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ap=7#compiling

I type what they tell me and get this:

GPAC-laptop / # make && make modules_install
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

You must be in /usr/src/linux before typing "make"
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux User
    OK, so I get this:

GPAC-laptop linux # make && make modules_install
    CHK include/linux/version.h
    UPD include/linux/version.h
    SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-i386
    SPLIT include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
    touch: setting times of `include/config/MARKER': Function not implemented
    make: *** [include/config/MARKER] Error 1
    GPAC-laptop linux # make modules_install
    if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.6.17-gentoo-r8; fi
    GPAC-laptop linux #

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast