Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
So uhhh... any ideas? Any suggestion as to what direction I should take with all this? (As I would love to get gentoo up and running some day if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

So uhhh... any ideas? Any suggestion as to what direction I should take with all this? (As I would love to get gentoo up and running some day if I can manage it...)

Thanks again.

I don't remember correctly, hdave you tried genkernel? I haven't used it but it seems a lot easier than compiling and configuring the kernel yourself
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Let me see if I can get this cleaned up for you. I would not recommend using genkernel, because learning to compile your own kernel is so much more beneficial, and you end up with something for your system, and you don't have to use an initrd image if you don't want to. It is a lot more flexible to build your own kernel. I will help you all I can to get your own kernel built.

Make sure you have your kernel .config file saved in /root/.config, or somewhere accessible in the chroot environment. It could even be in /boot, but I usually save another copy in /root/.config so I will always have the current config file available.

All of these commands will be done while in the chroot environment.

First, while in the chroot environment, do this:
    Code:
    emerge -C gentoo-sources
    rm -rf /usr/src/*
    rm -rf /lib/modules/*
    That will get rid of any kernel sources and modules you have installed.

Next, you want to do this:
    Code:
    emerge gentoo-sources
    Then, do this:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    Now, you will either configure your kernel, or copy your old .config file into the /usr/src/linux directory.
    Code:
    cp /wherever/your/.config/file/is /usr/src/linux/.config
    -------or-------
    make menuconfig
    Now, you either configure your kernel, or you do a
    Code:
    make oldconfig
    depending on if you saved your config file or not.

Now that you have your kernel configured, you will do a
    Code:
    make && make modules_install
    That will make your kernel and make all of the modules, and install them in /lib/modules/*your current kernel*.

Next, you want to copy the kernel over to /boot.
    Code:
    cp /usr/src/linux/arch/*your architecture*/boot/bzimage /boot/kernel-whatever-you-name-your-kernel
    cp /usr/src /linux/.config /boot/config-your-current-kernel
    cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-your-current-kernel
    Now you would follow the handbook, and configure grub when you get there. That will get you back to where you need to be. All of that can be found in the handbook except for removing the kernel sources and modules, but you are just removing the folders it created when you emerged the first gentoo sources and made your first kernel. If you need more help, just let me know. I take pm's, and I also have messengers.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hmm... hit the same problem as here.

For a solution, make sure you mounted the /proc filesystem in /mnt/gentoo/proc. I had restarted inbetween, and forgot to redo this step. It causes the exact error you were seeing.

Hope this helps someone.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance
    OK, sweet. So first question, even before I start - what is the difference between a stage1 "tarball" (what the heck is a tarball anyway?) and a stage3 tarball? The minimal installation only allows 1 and 2, so I would like to know whether I want to find an installation with stage3 or just go with stage1 (or 2).
    I would hightly suggest that you go with stage3.

Linux User
    OK, I think I'm back on track, but I'm getting new errors:

when I try: emerge dhcpcd (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...working-tools), I get this:

checking for memmove... no
    Required function not found

!!! Please attach the following file when filing a report to bugs.gentoo.org:
    !!! /var/tmp/portage/dhcpcd-2.0.5-r1/work/dhcpcd-2.0.5/config.log

!!! ERROR: net-misc/dhcpcd-2.0.5-r1 failed.
    Call stack:
    ebuild.sh, line 1546: Called dyn_compile
    ebuild.sh, line 937: Called src_compile
    dhcpcd-2.0.5-r1.ebuild, line 42: Called econf '--disable-debug'
    ebuild.sh, line 540: Called die

!!! econf failed
    !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

And when I try: USE="-X" emerge pcmcia-cs (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...=1&chap=:cool:, I get this:

** Your kernel is configured with PCMCIA driver support. Therefore,
    ** 'make all' will compile the PCMCIA utilities but not the drivers.
    ** See README-2.4 if this is not what you intended!

make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-r2/work/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8/cardmgr'
    i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror -march=i686 -pipe -MD -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -pipe -Wa,--no-warn -I../include/static -I/usr/src/linux/include -I../include -I../modules -c cardmgr.c
    i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror -march=i686 -pipe -c -MD -O -pipe -I../include/static -I/usr/src/linux/include -I../include -I../modules yacc_config.c
    i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror -march=i686 -pipe -c -MD -O -pipe -I../include/static -I/usr/src/linux/include -I../include -I../modules lex_config.c
    cc1: warnings being treated as errors
    lex_config.l: In function ‘parse_configfile’:
    lex_config.l:265: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘yyparse’
    make[1]: *** [lex_config.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    In file included from cardmgr.c:56:
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:590: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:590: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:593: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:594: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:595: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:598: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    cardmgr.c: In function ‘do_insert’:
    cardmgr.c:1026: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    In file included from yacc_config.y:40:
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:590: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:590: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:593: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:594: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:595: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/cistpl.h:598: warning: ‘struct pcmcia_socket’ declared inside parameter list
    y.tab.c: In function ‘yyparse’:
    y.tab.c:556: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘yylex’
    make[1]: *** [cardmgr.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [yacc_config.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-r2/work/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8/cardmgr'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-r2 failed.
    Call stack:
    ebuild.sh, line 1546: Called dyn_compile
    ebuild.sh, line 937: Called src_compile
    pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-r2.ebuild, line 131: Called die

!!! emake all failed
    !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

So what's going on here????

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13