Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
I checked Knoppix out, but I couldn't find anything like you suggested. Could you give me some terminal commands that I could perhaps use? It's really bugging me that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

I checked Knoppix out, but I couldn't find anything like you suggested. Could you give me some terminal commands that I could perhaps use? It's really bugging me that I can't get this running, cause I really want to get Gentoo goin.

Since knoppix is based on debian, I would guess that they use dhclient.

If you know your ethernet device, then just type in:
    Code:
    dhclient eth0
    I used eth0 for an example, yours may or may not be that.

You can find your ethernet device by tying this:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    If you are using wireless, then that is a whole different monster.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux User
    Awesome. I'll try that. Right after I finish doing some calculus, some physics, read some comp sci notes, eat dinner, work on a website... oh jeeze, It's 10:30 and I have a class in the morning. *groan*

Linux User
    Well I typed dhclient in the terminal window in knoppix and apparently it isn't a recognized command. and ifconfig didn't have anything resembling 'eth0'...

Ack!

Also, I might as well mention that when I extract the stage3 install I got, it said there was an error extracting. It still had a lot of the stuff, but I don't know if it extracted ALL of the package before it hit the extraction error...

Linux User
    Oi, I'm back. Now I'm currently running off Ubuntu, so I have a stable internet connection. I've unpacked my stage-3 gentoo install. Now what do I do? can someone point me in the right direction, and I'll get started....

Edit: I've started reading the handbook, but compiling parted, the suggested partitioning program, is giving me trouble. I'll post here when I get it sorted out. Missing files etc.

Linux User
    OKAAAAAAYYYY..... I think I'm finally on my way. I've got Ubuntu up and running and I'm running gparted, and I'm on chapter four of the Gentoo handbook. The partitioning chapter. So here's my question:

I've currently got Ubuntu taking up 40 GB of space, with a 512 MB swap space. Those are the only two partitions on my /dev/sdb1 hard drive.

What I would like best is to have my raw data, like word files, music, pictures, that sort of "My Documents" stuff, to be in a partition that both Linux distros (possibly various) and Windows can access, dump stuff into, take stuff out of, and rewrite. I'm guessing FAT32 is the way to go for this.

Other than that, I'm not sure how I should partition my drives. With Ubuntu, everything Ubuntu related is all on one partition. How would you suggest I partition my drive for Gentoo? How can I make it so I can move all my raw data into a partition that can be read and modified by all OS's?

Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance
    How would you suggest I partition my drive for Gentoo? How can I make it so I can move all my raw data into a partition that can be read and modified by all OS's?
    Besides what every you need for Ubuntu, I'd suggest about 10 gigs for the Gentoo root partition. For your files (documents, music, etc.), just make a Fat32 partition whatever size you think you'll need. If you don't plan on storing stuff like movies, you can get away with just a gig, but you'll probably want more than that. With Fat32, all operating sistems will be able to read AND write to it.

Linux User
    Umm... a question about the FAT32. Firstly, before I went to comp sci class today, I used Knoppix to create a FAT32 partition on my second hard drive, where my linux is (windows is on the first hard drive). When it was created, it had the windows logo in the partition program. So that got me wondering. I booted windows, and noticed that the FAT32 partition was not available to me (maybe because it has to be on the same hard drive as windows, which it was not?

Anyway, I went to class and asked my proff about it, and he said FAT32 is not what I would use, since it is an old DOS thing. So, maybe he and I both have it wrong, but it seems like FAT32 isn't working for me. Perhaps you can help me get it working?

Edit: Also, all my files (excluding programs I want, just files like word docs, executable files, C++, music, etc) is just less than 30 GB, so I'd be allocating at least 40 GB for whatever 'data' partition I make, FAT32 or otherwise.

Yes, fat32 is old, but it is simple and supported on virtually all operating sistems. Read more about it here. Most people use fat32 partitions for exchanging stuff between linux and windows, I have it for things like music, torrent downloads, documents, etc. I'm not sure why windows won't see your newly created fat partition (perhaps you forgot to save the changes in knoppix?). The wiki article explains it much better than I could, so I'll let you read that instead

Edit: just wondering how much linux experience your professor has

Linux User
    I'll read the article, thanks. As for my professor, maybe he meant the FAT system, or the FAT16 system - misinterpreted what I said, because all he uses is Linux. :P So I'm pretty sure he knows his Linux stuff. Although he did advise me to just keep all my data on my Windows partition and just grab it from Linux as needed, which I thought was rather strange advice.

Edit: So how would I go about doing the FAT32 partition then? Why wouldn't an NTFS partition be better than FAT32? Finally, the website said this:

"The FAT32 formatting support in Windows 2000 and XP is limited to drives of 32 gigabytes, which effectively forces users of modern hard drives either to use NTFS or to format the drive using third party tools such as a port of mkdosfs or fat32format."

Does this mean that I can't use FAT32 if my hard drive (or partition) is more than 32 GB, cause it will be at least 40 GB...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast