Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
So I want to go ahead with installing Gentoo. Please do not try to dissuade me, but help me in the process. On WinXP I am connected to the internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

First timer installing Gentoo.

So I want to go ahead with installing Gentoo. Please do not try to dissuade me, but help me in the process.

On WinXP I am connected to the internet (maybe this is important info, I don't know).

I've got the minimal OS (50 MB) on a CD - where do I go from here? What should I do about the manual? Print it, or how can I do the installation otherwise. Step by step instructions as to how to go about installing Gentoo (and viewing the handbook as I do it) is what I need to get started.

Thanks!

GPAC

Linux Engineer
    or you could just ctl-alt-f* to another terminal and use links2 to access the manual online and ctl-alt-f* back to the window where you are actually loading tstarted.
    he commands. Follow the manual, and pay close attention and you can get a good install out of gentoo even on a first go.

Exclamation

You could also get the full livecd and NOT use the graphical installer. It will boot into a gnome environment, and you can use the terminal to do a manual install. The benefit to that, is that you can use Firefox to view the handbook on.

But then again, you could use Knoppix to do that also.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux User
    Hey Genesus,

You speak greek to me. :P I've only had a little experience with Linux (Suse and a few other distros) so I haven't a clue what your reply means.

As for Gruven, I do have knoppix, but I thought I'd need the 50 MB Gentoo CD to install Gentoo into my system. How can I be running knoppix off a CD and install Gentoo at the same time?

Like I said, I'm very new to this all, so step by step instructions to get me started is a must.

Check here for more info on the knoppix install:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

I agree with gruven, though, go with the Gentoo liveCD, you can install while reading the documentation in firefox. When I installed Gentoo, the command line was the default option and I had the documentation on another computer the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance
    Hey Genesus,

You speak greek to me. :P I've only had a little experience with Linux (Suse and a few other distros) so I haven't a clue what your reply means.

As for Gruven, I do have knoppix, but I thought I'd need the 50 MB Gentoo CD to install Gentoo into my system. How can I be running knoppix off a CD and install Gentoo at the same time?

Like I said, I'm very new to this all, so step by step instructions to get me started is a must.
    ok, gentoo is a DIY install. you download the pieces and put them together yourself. that's why you don't need a gentoo install CD to do it. the easiest way to understand is to look through the manual so you understand what the install process involves.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux User
    OK, in that case, what should my first step be then? Where do I get the pieces? I really need step by step instructions here, cause I'll be lost without it. Even just to get started. If I need Knoppix, tell me "Boot knoppix. then go here, etc"

BTW, I have a knoppix live CD ATM

Here:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3

That contains exactly what to do. Note that it links you to the Handbook at the place where you should start.

Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Check here for more info on the knoppix install:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    ok, gentoo is a DIY install. you download the pieces and put them together yourself. that's why you don't need a gentoo install CD to do it. the easiest way to understand is to look through the manual so you understand what the install process involves.
    Actually, one of the default ways to install Gentoo now is the LiveCD. But seeing as you (I mean GivePeaceAChance here) already have the minimal install CD, you can start with the gentoo installation instructions here. The instructions are excellent, if you follow them to the letter, you will probably have no trouble at all.

EDIT: Just to mention that the instructions are very 'step by step'

Linux User
    OK, sweet. So first question, even before I start - what is the difference between a stage1 "tarball" (what the heck is a tarball anyway?) and a stage3 tarball? The minimal installation only allows 1 and 2, so I would like to know whether I want to find an installation with stage3 or just go with stage1 (or 2).

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast