Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy all. I've recently switched my profile over to 2006.1, and as a result, am attempting to recompile with the new USE flags. Unfortunately, we are having a problem. Basically, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgrading to 2006.1...

Howdy all. I've recently switched my profile over to 2006.1, and as a result, am attempting to recompile with the new USE flags. Unfortunately, we are having a problem.

Basically, nptl (which glibc now compiles with) requires a CHOST of i486 or better. Mine is i386, presumably because I did the Stage3 install (as the Handbook now does) on my latest install. I know that my computer works with i686, but everything in the Gentoo forums says that changing the CHOST is a horrible idea that causes puppies to fall on ironclad bamboo stakes. Or something along those lines.

So the idea is, how can I change the CHOST to allow my glibc to update?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    So the idea is, how can I change the CHOST to allow my glibc to update?

Thanks!
    Well there's some stuff about changing CHOST written in this thread.

I only figured out that I have to change the CHOST when I was in the middle of the first emerge -e sistem, after starting the upgrade from gcc-3.4 to gcc-4.1. With some searching around, mainly on the gentoo forums, I followed the recommendations of one of the gentoo forum admins. He's since improved those into a mini how-to, which you can read here. What I did was very similar, but without all of the checking of the various files. After changing the CHOST, I did
    Code:
     emerge --oneshot -e glibc binutils gcc
    emerge -e sistem #note that every now and then emerge would exit with an error, whereupon I would use emerge --resume, worked every time
    emerge -e world #same comment as above, though this didn't work for about 5 non-critical packages
    I've just now finished with the world, and everything looks OK for now. I plan on rebooting now, then emerge --sync, emerge --update --deep world followed by a re-compiling of the kernel (which is recommended).

I'll post here if I encounter any errors, though I'm not expecting anything serious.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    I've just now finished with the world, and everything looks OK for now. I plan on rebooting now, then emerge --sync, emerge --update --deep world followed by a re-compiling of the kernel (which is recommended).

I'll post here if I encounter any errors, though I'm not expecting anything serious.

Good luck!
    I've finished with all of this and it's gone off without a hitch. The re-compile of the kernel was necessary (or compile actually, as it's a new version) as alsa (and a few others) tossed errors at me during boot-up. I also had to re-emerge ati-drivers, but you have to do that because of the new kernel anyways.

The only thing which didn't work at first was the sound. Note to self: when sound doesn't work, don't go play with alsa-conf... check if the bloody speakers are plugged in first

Ah, same thing happened to me.

Done all of psic's mentioned steps, but the -e world is taking ages, thanks to the fact that I have to stop-start it each day.

No breakage so far, except for distcc (which doesn't work at all now, but once did) which has drawn out the whole thing over a week.

It doesn't hurt to start-stop the emerging process when your doing an --emptytree does it?

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

I did a stage 3 install last time, and my CHOST is i686. I chose the 686 tarball instead of the generic x86. I did that on purpose.

You should be able to change your CHOST, but you will HAVE to recompile everything. Get ready for a long, long compile.

I recently switched to the 2006.1 profile, and did an "emerge -avuDN world" to check the use flags (and edited as necessary), then I went ahead and let it build. I have always used nptl and nptlonly in my use flags, so there were no surprises here.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Yeah, the CHOST has been changed successfully, but I'm having trouble re-emerging Locale-gettext. I found some threads in the Gentoo forum about it, so I'm working on that right now.

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I'll let you know how it goes.