Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install gentoo on an old gateway (Pentium I)with a buggy BIOS that will not allow me to boot from a cdrom. the computer has two harddrives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation install without cd chrooting problems - please help!

I am trying to install gentoo on an old gateway (Pentium I)with a buggy BIOS that will not allow me to boot from a cdrom. the computer has two harddrives in it, one with an old (and quite unstable) install of slackware on it, and the second being the one i'm trying to install gentoo on. since i cannot use the normal boot from cd approach, i have used the slack install on the first harddrive as my installation medium instead, and all was going well untill i attempted to chroot into the new environment, at which point i recieved an error message reading simply "Illegal Operation". at first i assumed that it was a problem with the buggy slack install, and so i downloaded BG-Rescue Linux, a bootable 2-floppy disk live environment suggested elsewhere online for installation situations where using a boot cd is not an option. i booted into this environment, mounted all of my partitions, and when i went to chroot, lo and behold the same "Illegal Operation" error came back. at this point i cannot continue my install until i can chroot and emerge my kernel sources - any thoughts!!??

Just Joined!

problem solved

i managed to fix my chrooting problem, and turns out the mistake was a simple one - i had forgotten that the pre pentium pro probessors were i586 and not i686, and had simply used the wrong stage3 tarball. i fixed that, and all is well.

next time i should try not starting an install just before bed *smile*