Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have followed the Gentoo wiki on setting up XGL. Under the Windowed Mode subsection of the Running XGL section, I (an nVidia user) run: Code: # Xgl :1 -ac ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

XGL Setup Issue?

I have followed the Gentoo wiki on setting up XGL. Under the Windowed Mode subsection of the Running XGL section, I (an nVidia user) run:

Code:
    # Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv -fp /usr/share/fonts/misc,/usr/share/fonts/other_fonts
    And the standard grey nested X window pops up. Upon following the next step (being a compiz user), I run:

Code:
    # LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ \
    # DISPLAY=:1 compiz gconf
    This causes my nested window to turn black, freeze and quit rendering. I can just click the X of my window manager, or ctrl+c in the terminal I created it with, to stop it. In fact, I can ctrl+c in the terminal I called compiz with, and it reverts to a grey screen. Nonetheless, it's not getting me anywhere. I am stuck here in the setup process. Any ideas? TIA.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

It may be just related to xnest, that step is just for testing so you can skip it. It may work ...
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    when I write "compiz start" it shows me this:

compiz. real: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" alredy has a window manager; try using --replace option to replace the current window manager. compiz real: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

If I write

"compiz --replace gconf &"

This causes my current window freeze. I can't click the X of my window, because that tab disappears, and I can't change the current window. The only thig I can do is to restart my computer by clicking ctrl+alt+backspace... please help
    BTW, I have nVidia GForce 5200 FX

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close