Find the answer to your Linux question:
Installed gnome-light, everything is working perfectly except starting gdm. Added gdm to init so it can launch it since the beggining. gdm loads but have a lot of video problems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

gdm and masked packages

Installed gnome-light, everything is working perfectly except starting gdm. Added gdm to init so it can launch it since the beggining. gdm loads but have a lot of video problems in both the console and gdm itself like some yellow lines in the screen (i'm using vesafb-tng with 1280x1024@60 console resolution compiled in the kernel). but this doesn't happen when I load gdm after i'm in a usabe console.

Also, I'm trying to install alacarte but I always get that the package has been masked for x86, is there anyway to bypass this?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

post the output when you try to emerge alacarte. don't know about gdm though, sorry
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

It is hard masked with package.mask
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Code:
    echo "x11-misc/alacarte" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
    you'll probably also have to unmask it in keywords too
    Code:
    echo "x11-misc/alacarte ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I'll try this, thank you
    Linux User #425940