Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Gentoo_amd64 gnome-light I tried to install Gimp. # emerge -pv media-gfx/gimp Code: These are the packages that would be merged, in order: Calculating dependencies... done! [ebuild N ] ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

About installing Gimp

Hi folks,

Gentoo_amd64
    gnome-light

I tried to install Gimp.

# emerge -pv media-gfx/gimp
    Code:
    These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild  N    ] media-gfx/gimp-2.2.12  USE="python -aalib (-altivec) -debug -doc -gimpprint -gtkhtml -hardened -jpeg -lcms (-mmx) -mng -png -smp (-sse) -svg -tiff -wmf" 12,573 kB

Total size of downloads: 12,573 kB
    # emerge -av media-gfx/gimp
    Code:
    These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild  N    ] media-gfx/gimp-2.2.12  USE="python -aalib (-altivec) -debug -doc -gimpprint -gtkhtml -hardened -jpeg -lcms (-mmx) -mng -png -smp (-sse) -svg -tiff -wmf" 12,573 kB

Total size of downloads: 12,573 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
    What does it mean? Whether to merge all "python -aalib (-altivec) -debug -doc -gimpprint -gtkhtml -hardened -jpeg -lcms (-mmx) -mng -png -smp (-sse) -svg -tiff -wmf". If selecting "Yes" to proceed, would it affect Gentoo Linux, the OS?

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    The package thats going to be installed is gimp. The rest of the options are called use flags, which are options that you can enable for a package at compile time. Take a look here for more info about use flags.

Linux Guru
    Hi daark.child,

Tks for your advice and URL

If I want to enable follows;
    Code:
    python -aalib -altivec -debug doc gimpprint gtkhtml -hardened jpeg lcms mmx -mng png smp -sse svg tiff -wmf
    Whether to run;
    Code:
    # echo "python -aalib -altivec -debug doc gimpprint gtkhtml -hardened jpeg lcms mmx -mng png smp -sse svg tiff -wmf" >> /etc/portage/package.use

# emerge --oneshot "python -aalib -altivec -debug doc gimpprint gtkhtml -hardened jpeg lcms mmx -mng png smp -sse svg tiff -wmf"
    Then ran
    # emerge -av media-gfx/gimp

Remark: existing package.use
    $ cat /etc/portage/package.use
    Code:
    X11-libs/cairo X
    x11-libs/cairo x
    x11-libs/cairo png
    TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Your post is a bit confusing. Use flags are options that you either enable or diable for a specific package. The syntax in your examples is wrong, so read the articles on the link I provided so that you fully grasp the concept of use flags. If you want to enable global use flags, put them in /etc/make.conf. For specific packages, you can use /etc/portage/package.use. e.g. when I installed gimp, I did the following
    Code:
    #echo "media-gfx/gimp png svg tiff wmf jpeg" >> /etc/portage/package.use
    and then
    Code:
    #emerge gimp
    To see the use flags of a package without actually installing it you do something like
    Code:
    #emerge -pv gimp