Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I see that other distros like Ubuntu mount everything when it is plugged but gentoo doesn't, I enabled inotify in the kernel, installed hal and fam but still no luck ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Auto mounting cds and pen drives

I see that other distros like Ubuntu mount everything when it is plugged but gentoo doesn't, I enabled inotify in the kernel, installed hal and fam but still no luck also added myself to the plugdev group.

for it's not a problem as I like to mount the things I want manually, but sometimes other people use my computer and can't figure how to mount and unmount things (windows users ...). As a temporary solution I added a shell script on my desktop to mount and access cdroms and pendrives automatically but I would like a more consistent solution.

Thanks in Advance
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

What worked for me (as far as I can tell) was using both udev and hal. You mentioned that you have hal running, but what about udev?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

I have also udev running, thanks for your reply
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Now, my devices get mounted when I plug them but I can't get them to appear it the desktop thus they can't be unmounte easily, any help would be great.
    Linux User #425940

Using KDE? If you right-click on the desktop and select "Configure Desktop..." from the pop-up menu, then pick "Behavior" from the left pane of the configure window, you'll see a tab for "Device Icons." Check the "Show device icons:" box and pick the ones you want to see.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance for other DEs, and I'm guessing it simply won't work with bare WMs.

BTW, what did you do to get it working?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

I am using GNOME.
    Linux User #425940

can't you put "auto" in the <opts> column in your /etc/fstab?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

If I do this, I think it would be mounted even if it is not connected!
    Linux User #425940

It wont be mounted if it isn't there
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I'll try this, didn't know that
    Linux User #425940

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast