Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 3 distros on my computer and a messy partition table. I would like the first (Gentoo) to /dev/hda1 from /dev/hda7 and the second (Debian) from /dev/hda4 to /dev/hda2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Moving distros

I have 3 distros on my computer and a messy partition table. I would like the first (Gentoo) to /dev/hda1 from /dev/hda7 and the second (Debian) from /dev/hda4 to /dev/hda2 and a data partition from /dev/hda5 to an extended partition on /dev/hda4 (say /dev/hda5) and leaving space for /dev/hda3 so I can install FreeBSD there .

Would it be a matter of copying the file system (skipping /dev and /proc) from one partition to another, setting fstab and configuring the bootloader?

Also I don't want to lose any data in the process, is possible?

Is it better to bakup my file systems to a tarball, put it on a DVD and delete the whole partition table and create the partitions with cfdisk from a live cd and putting all back also with a live cd? (of course reinstalling the bootloader and editing fstab for eachi distro)
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Hi Juan Pablo!

you can MOVE partitions anytime but take care of fstab and Boot Loader.... Edit fstab file according to changes you did.

Is it better to bakup my file systems to a tarball, put it on a DVD and delete the whole partition table and create the partitions with cfdisk from a live cd and putting all back also with a live cd? (of course reinstalling the bootloader and editing fstab for eachi distro)
    if you recreate partition table then tarball wont install filesystem properly. new partitions, new size...

you are well aware of LiveCD's capabilities and there is no chance of Data loss...

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I was thinking on using the tarball as it is recommended in gentoo-wiki.org to backup the file system when you move an OS from a physical hard drive to another.

To copy, what options should I use to duplicate the filesystem exactly without changing symlinks? or use dd?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was thinking on using the tarball as it is recommended in gentoo-wiki.org to backup the file system when you move an OS from a physical hard drive to another.
    you can use tarball if both harddisks have same partition structure. it works like PartImage.

To copy, what options should I use to duplicate the filesystem exactly without changing symlinks? or use dd?
    do you have separate home partition ?

.... casper ....

No, it is inside each / partition for each distro. But just one folder is used, the others are empty
    Linux User #425940

No, it is inside each / partition for each distro. But just one folder is used, the others are empty
    home is inside root. on moving partition, absolute and relative paths of home, its files and all other folders wont change..... go ahead.... you can move/resize partitions......

casper

Of course I can , anything about the command to use when copying files (preseve symlink, etc)

Is there other folders excepting /proc and /dev I should worry about?
    Linux User #425940

Of course I can , anything about the command to use when copying files (preseve symlink, etc)

Is there other folders excepting /proc and /dev I should worry about?
    dont worry about anything. File System is not multipartitioned. it means moving partitions wont change links or paths of files and folders inside it.... /proc and /dev uses virtual mount points generated/directed by fstab. you have to edit actual mount points in fstab.

casper

I had to use cp -Pp to copy the files, otherwise the links where updated.
    Linux User #425940