Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi folks, Gentoo_64 gnome-light On installing k3b encountered following problem; Code: ..... * You are trying to compile app-cdr/k3b-0.12.14 with the "hal" USE flag enabled , * but sys-apps/dbus is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

installing k3b problem

Hi folks,

Gentoo_64
    gnome-light

On installing k3b encountered following problem;
    Code:

* You are trying to compile app-cdr/k3b-0.12.14 with the "hal" USE flag enabled ,
     * but sys-apps/dbus is not built with Qt3 support.

!!! ERROR: app-cdr/k3b-0.12.14 failed.
    Call stack:
      ebuild.sh, line 1562:   Called dyn_setup
      ebuild.sh, line 665:   Called pkg_setup
      k3b-0.12.14.ebuild, line 59:   Called die

!!! rebuild sys-apps/dbus with the qt3 useflag
    !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
    Please advise how to fix it. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

You need to add qt3 to the USE flag in make.conf.

Once you do this then re-emerge sys-apps/dbus,
    Code:
    emerge --newuse sys-apps/dbus
    Safer still would be to rebuild your entire system (although this will take a LONG time),
    Code:
    emerge --update --deep --newuse world
    You should be able to emerge k3b successfully after this.

Good luck!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Guru
    Hi smolloy,

You need to add qt3 to the USE flag in make.conf.

Once you do this then re-emerge sys-apps/dbus,
    Code:
    emerge --newuse sys-apps/dbus
    k3b started but working as root only. As user it reqested to run k3bsetup. I can't find the latter on this Gentoo_64 PC nor can I find this package on "emerge --search k3bsetup"

Googling Internet found several postings on this problem. Any clue. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

K3B has to be compiled with the "kde" use flag for k3bsetup to be compiled and available.

Basically, to get the full functionality of k3b, you need the basic libraries of kde installed.

When I use gnome, I prefer what used to be called bonfire. I forget what it is called now.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Yeah, I remember bonfire being mentioned a while back in another thread. I use Graveman myself, which is very nice, light and simple and based on GTK. Also, Nautilus has some burning capabilities as well.

Linux Guru
    Hi folks,

Gentoo_64
    gnome-light

I have "Brasero 0.4.4" installed on this box. It did not work. After adding data/files, clicking "Burn" closed the application automatically. I tried numerous times before installing k3b.

I'm aware k3b need kde lib. I have been searching for its replacement in the past. Finally I have to coming back to the original step.

B.R.
    satimis

In that case, follow Gruven's instructions and emerge k3b with the kde use flag.

You probably won't want to set the 'kde' flag for you entire system, seeing as you use gnome-light, just use it for k3b.

Linux Guru
    Hi psic and gruven

In that case, follow Gruven's instructions and emerge k3b with the kde use flag.
    I already have a working k3b running. It only works as root. I can start k3b on console as root.

You probably won't want to set the 'kde' flag for you entire system, seeing as you use gnome-light, just use it for k3b.
    No I prefer not to install kde for the time being.

B.R.
    satimis

If you want k3b setup, then you "HAVE" to recompile it with the kde use flag. If you don't want to do that, then you can change the permissions on the devices and files yourself.

Also, brasero should work, but I would have to have the output of the errors on the command line before I could help you with that. You have to open a terminal (as a user), run brasero from the terminal, and tell us the output of it when it fails.

When things don't work, it is usually for a reason that can be fixed. If you don't know how to change the permissions for k3b, or don't want to recompile it using the kde use flag (which will bring in over half of kde), then you are stuck running it as root. All k3bsetup does is change permissions on whatever program k3b uses to burn.

Part of the problem may be that you are running the 64 bit version, and I have no experience with that yet. Hopefully soon, I will install Gentoo on my new laptop (Core 2 Duo) and use the 64 bit version. But until then, I can just help with the basics.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Guru
    Hi gruven,

If you want k3b setup, then you "HAVE" to recompile it with the kde use flag. If you don't want to do that, then you can change the permissions on the devices and files yourself.
    I'll leave it as I'm the only user of this PC

You have to open a terminal (as a user), run brasero from the terminal, and tell us the output of it when it fails.
    $ brasero
    Code:
    (brasero:5714): Gtk-WARNING **: Viewer: missing action

(brasero:5714): Gtk-CRITICAL **: find_menu_position: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (prev_child)' failed

** (brasero:5714): WARNING **: Could not connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

** (brasero:5714): WARNING **: hal_initialize failed: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    libhal.c 227 : LibHalContext *ctx is NULL
    libhal.c 3093 : LibHalContext *ctx is NULL
    libhal.c 3109 : LibHalContext *ctx is NULL

** (brasero:5714): WARNING **: Could not open /dev/hdc: Permission denied

** (brasero:5714): WARNING **: Could not open /dev/hdc: Permission denied
    Segmentation fault

# brasero (as root)
    Code:
    (brasero:5727): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

(brasero:5727): Gtk-WARNING **: Viewer: missing action

(brasero:5727): Gtk-CRITICAL **: find_menu_position: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (prev_child)' failed
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/root/.gnome2/brasero.session"

** (brasero:5727): WARNING **: Could not connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

** (brasero:5727): WARNING **: hal_initialize failed: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    libhal.c 227 : LibHalContext *ctx is NULL
    libhal.c 3093 : LibHalContext *ctx is NULL
    libhal.c 3109 : LibHalContext *ctx is NULL
    Also a warning popup
    ERROR
    Code:
    The Application "brasero" has quit unexpectedly.

You can inform the developers of what happened to help them fix it.  Or you can restart the application right now.
    $ ls -l /dev/ | grep hdc
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root         3 Oct 22 13:15 cdrom1 -> hdc
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root         3 Oct 22 13:15 cdrw -> hdc
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root         3 Oct 22 13:15 dvd -> hdc
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root         3 Oct 22 13:15 dvdrw -> hdc
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom  22,   0 Oct 22 13:15 hdc
    $ ls -l /mnt/
    Code:
    total 12
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug  3 17:22 cdrom
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 10 18:11 cdrom1
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug  3 17:22 floppy
    $ cat /etc/fstab
    Code:
    /dev/hdc                /mnt/cdrom1     auto            noauto,owner,user,rw    0 8
    /dev/hdd                /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,owner,user,rw    0 9
    Others noted with tks

B.R.
    satimis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast