Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why is it so little info on how to install Gnome 2.16 on Gentoo? I tried the Sabayon forum for some help, but no, they told me to keep KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Come on Gnome!

Why is it so little info on how to install Gnome 2.16 on Gentoo?

I tried the Sabayon forum for some help, but no, they told me to keep KDE cause of some tragic reason.

Can some Gentooers show me how to install it? Sabayon and Gentoo goes hand in hand so it shouldnt be a problem!

Thanks.

Did you try with GARNOME ?
    http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Gnome 2.16 seems to be in testing. Now, I have very limited experience with Gentoo but there is a way to use testing packages. Someone with more Gentoo experience can tell you how to do that.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yep, bryansmith you have exactly the right idea about this.

I am not a Gentoo expert either, but apparently you can mix the stable & testing branches with emerge :
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=3&chap=3

There is a specific wiki page regarding the installation of "not-yet-in-stable" versions of GNOME :
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Update_to_GNOME_unstable
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Not stable? Foresight has released their distro with Gnome 2.16, and it has already been released. Why is it not stable for Gentoo?

I will check in on your suggestions!

Some distros tend to have bleeding edge stuff with little testing (Frugalware comes to mind). Some distros like to test their packages first so as to make sure they work properly (like Arch and Gentoo).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by sp-1
    Not stable? Foresight has released their distro with Gnome 2.16, and it has already been released. Why is it not stable for Gentoo?

I will check in on your suggestions!
    As bryansmith explained, some distros take longer than others to label stuff 'stable'. I think Debian is probably the most extreme in this case (and possibly also slackware), its stable branch has older versions of software than most other distros.

Anyhow, I wouldn't suggest installing the masked version of Gnome, especially since there's such a huge amount of packages. If you really want it, make good backups

Edit: I think it's better to use emerge than outside programs such as Garnome, since it gives you more choices and makes it easier to upgrade later on.