Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi My problem is that I have access to a partial portage server on my LAN(i.e. it has only few basic files on it). So whenever I have to emerge ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Automatic downloading and make.conf

Hi

My problem is that I have access to a partial portage server on my LAN(i.e. it has only few basic files on it). So whenever I have to emerge it asks me that a file was not found on the server. I then access that file from another ftp server which although not on my LAN is quite fast because of a proxy I use. It does not support rsync. What changes should I make to the FETCHCOMMAND in my /etc/make.conf?

Thanks in advance.

Current make.conf
    Code:
    blah blah
    SYNC="rsync://10.18.1.2/gentoo-portage"
    PORTDIR=/usr/portage
    DISTDIR=/home/distfiles
    FETCHCOMMAND="rsync rsync://10.18.1.2/gentoo-packages/\${FILE} ${DISTDIR}"
    Specifically what command do I use to download a file from an ftp without it asking me for a password. (I think scp will ask for a password even in case of anonymous login). Currently the ftp server does not ask me to login.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

I can't quite tell what you want. Are you stuck behind a proxy that blocks all rsync traffic? If not, you should use a global rsync mirror, unless the one on your LAN is kept complete and up-to-date. rsync is used for updating the portage *tree* -- the list of all packages and their ebuilds. The LAN server would be used for actually fetching a package if it happens to be available there. You can use mirrorselect to pick your mirrors (you may have to emerge it first):

mirrorselect -iF (to pick ftp mirrors)
    mirrorselect -iH (to pick http mirrors)
    mirrorselect -ir (to pick rsync mirrors)

Then edit your make.conf, and add in the LAN mirror at the beginning of the GENTOO_MIRRORS list. That way it will look for packages on the LAN first, then go to the web if they're not there.

You shouldn't need to specify a FETCHCOMMAND.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Thanks a lot. That surely is a better way.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page