Find the answer to your Linux question:
i ve installed alsa but i get this err on bootup * Loading ALSA modules ... * Loading: snd-card-0 ... WARNING: Error inserting snd_mpu401_uart (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

alsa help

i ve installed alsa but i get this err on bootup
    * Loading ALSA modules ...
    * Loading: snd-card-0 ...
    WARNING: Error inserting snd_mpu401_uart (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_via82xx (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/pci/snd-via82xx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg) [ !! ] * Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/acore/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (se [ !! ] * Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_pcm_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dm [ !! ] * Loading: snd-seq-oss ...
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/acore/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (se [ !! ] * Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_pcm_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.17.13/alsa-driver/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dm [ !! ] * ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers [ ok ]

This member had the same problem with no resolution. This may be of assistance.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

i've checked both links....but my problem still isnt solved

i was following this tutorial
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

Just Joined!
    It's probably because you emerged alsa-driver and compiled alsa drivers in the kernel. Delete /lib/modules/2.6.17.13 and rebuild your kernel with a make modules_install and don't emerge alsa-driver this time. Or don't compile them in your kernel and use alsa-driver.

Look to the bottom of that documentation, I recently had the same error and the fix is explained in those docs. But you really have to make certain that you have alsa either in the kernel or as a driver, not both.

what about if i remove alsa driver......would that help?

Remove everything related to ALSA with portage and set everything related to ALSA in the kernel as modules. Recompile the kernel and configure the bootloader. Then use alsaconf to get the card configured.

Add to your booting process.

rc-update add alsasound default
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

ok its done....now i have just to reconfigure and recompile vanilla kernel

Why vanilla kernel? Just wondering ...
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

oh i had some problems with gentoo-sources so i decided to install vanilla....