Find the answer to your Linux question:
I posted this on gentoo.org, so sorry if whoever is reading this checks both forums.... Okay, I hate being a newbie, but I guess you have to start somewhere. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help a newb out with a gentoo install

I posted this on gentoo.org, so sorry if whoever is reading this checks both forums....

Okay,

I hate being a newbie, but I guess you have to start somewhere. I got all the way through the gentoo install, using the genkernel and using lilo, but at the very end where you are supposed to do this

# exit
    cdimage ~# cd
    cdimage ~# umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo
    cdimage ~# reboot

After doing the exit, then the cd

I get an error saying it doesn't know what unmount is, so I decided to skip that line (I guess that was a bad idea) and just rebooted.

It went into lilo, began to boot gentoo, then I get this:

ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/root is mounted
    fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/root
    /dev/root:
    The superblock could not be read or does not descirbe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem ( and not swap of ufs or something selse_, then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 (device)

*filesystem couldnt be fixed [!!]
    give root password for maintenence
    of typer control-d to continue

Pretty much what I am asking is, what should I do? :-/

Thanks

Tim

Linux Newbie
    Did you copy and paste the line in? Because it sounds like you typed in unmount instead of umount.

Anyway it's probably not that. The script that shutdown gentoo live probably automatically unmounted all the remove filesystems for you.

Here are possibilities for why you got that error--

(a) you are not booting the root partition (you are booting a different partition instead) i.e. your lilo configuration is wrong.
    (b) you didn't format your partitions correctly in the early stages of the install.
    (c) you didn't include support for ext2 and ext3 file systems in your kernel.
    (d) you set up your /etc/fstab file wrong.

I think most likely answer is (a) followed by (d).