Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, first of all, thanks for taking some time to read this, it's always appreciated... As the title of the thread says, i've got a problem using my network on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry weird network problems with 2006.1 live cd!!

Hi, first of all, thanks for taking some time to read this, it's always appreciated... As the title of the thread says, i've got a problem using my network on the 2006.1 gentoo live cd. The thing is, it acrually worked last week, and I don't know how a live cd could suddently not work anymore! The network adapter(a realtek semi-conductor) works fine under windows, so I can't accuse the card...

to describe the problem a little more, doind ifconfig brings me only the loopback interface, but the eth0 is recognised as my realtek network adapter. when I do ifconfig -a, it appears... if I do ifconfig eth0 up, there are no errors but it still won't work... I tried to use net-setup eth0, but still no Ip adress with DHCP. So I tried to assing an IP manually, didn't work either..... At the end, I installed gentoo networkless, mounting eth0 in the network adapters list, but when i boot from the hard drive, same problem, and even worse: there's something like a flag missing, it's SIOCSIFFLAGS. Another bad thing is that I can't emerge a darn package because I don't have access to my network either way! please help me before I throw my notebook by the window for refund!!

i might have found a hint! on a post i found on google.ca/linux said that the error i had (SIOCSIFFLAGS) could possibly mean a IRQ conflict. Considering my situation, i think this may be the problem, but how do I resolvesuch a conflict if my darn bios (from a HP DV8000 Notebook) does not offer any IRQ options? i must at least give it a try, i mean, at this point....