Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just installed gentoo 2006.1 using the live cd command line installer. everything went well enough but upon booting into gentoo it seems to have recognized neither of my dvd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gentoo no hardware detected

i just installed gentoo 2006.1 using the live cd command line installer. everything went well enough but upon booting into gentoo it seems to have recognized neither of my dvd drives, my soundcard, my ethernet card as i dont seem to have internet access now. does anyone how to fix this or where i might go to find the answers. i am new to gentoo but not linux as i have been using slackware for about six months before this.

Yes, gentoo by default doesn't recognise much in the way of hardware. For your ethernet card, you'll probably have to load the correct kernel module, consult the installation manual which talks about this, perhaps take a look at this one as well. For your sound card, follow these instructions on setting up alsa. For the dvd drive, I think you only have to configure your /etc/fstab file. You can try mounting it via the mount command, though I can't tell you the exact command to use as it depends on which drive this is, for my dvd, the line in fstab is:
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,noexec,noauto,unhide,users,ro 0 0

Also, check here for gentoo's documentation.

Just Joined!
    thank you for your response. i tried to configure my internet by reinserting the live cd and using "emerge dchpcd" in the terminal and reinstalling here is the error i get in the terminal
    "Calculating dependencies emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dhcpcd"."
    and still the same problem.. I cant use genkernel since i am not connected to the net..

Just Joined!
    When you have booted to the livecd, can you ping a website to make sure that the livecd picks up your eth0 card?

Most of my issues with 'net connectivity come about when I think I have the install done right, and try it without the disk.

For the card to be spotted with the manual kernel config, you need to compile support for the eth0 driver, and for the PCI bus the card is plugged into. At least, those are errors I have dealt with. If either of those are missing, then it will not work.

If your eth0 is working with when booting to CD, emerge dhcpcd should work. Might it be looking for the dhcpcd on the CD instead of the web?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Marley
    When you have booted to the livecd, can you ping a website to make sure that the livecd picks up your eth0 card?
    i have done this and i get a response all packets received. plus i surf with no problem. i also did ifconfig -a in the terminal and eth0 was picked up

Most of my issues with 'net connectivity come about when I think I have the install done right, and try it without the disk.

For the card to be spotted with the manual kernel config, you need to compile support for the eth0 driver, and for the PCI bus the card is plugged into. At least, those are errors I have dealt with. If either of those are missing, then it will not work.
    can you give these commands or where i might find them

If your eth0 is working with when booting to CD, emerge dhcpcd should work. Might it be looking for the dhcpcd on the CD instead of the web?
    i dont know for sure i just did "emerge dhcpcd and that was the error message i received.

Just Joined!
    I'm just going by problems I have encountered in the last few days.

So, you say you have 'net with the disc in, but not without?

I'm just trying to be clear on when the eth0 works and when it doesn't.

If it is what I encountered, and it works fine with the disc, but not without it on your new install, it may well be a problem with kernel compile options.
    Did you use genkernel, or manual?

I used lspci to figure out what options I did not have set in my manual configuration, and it worked after I recompiled the kernel.

Just Joined!
    So, you say you have 'net with the disc in, but not without?.
    yes this is exactly it

I'm just trying to be clear on when the eth0 works and when it doesn't.

Did you use genkernel, or manual?.
    I am not sure. I simply use the default options in the graphical installer and when i tried to emerge genkernel i got the error message i typed earlier

I used lspci to figure out what options I did not have set in my manual configuration, and it worked after I recompiled the kernel.
    thanks for this info i will try this and send you what i get in the terminal

Follow these instructions and it should work. I think that all you need to do is load the correct kernel module via the 'modprobe X' command, where X is the name of the module. In the above link you can find the command for getting a list of all of the modules. You probably don't have to recompile the kernel, also it probably doesn't matter if you used genkernel or not, these modules are compiled by default unless you specificaly went into the kernel configuration and removed them.

Edit: Just to clear up, you can compile the support for your net card directly into the kernel as Darth Marley has done, but I suggest using it as a module, it tends to be safer.

Just Joined!
    i have just figured this out i had too edit fstab to get my drives working and blast a kernel recompile (after using lspci to figure out what modules i needed loaded) and after it was done wolla cable internet access. afterwords i downloaded and installed ndiswrapper and there wireless freedom. i hope this helps someone