Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im having fun playing with different distros on my laptop, and thought Gentoo would be neat. so I chose the networkless install with the Gnome, off the live cd, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i know, im an idiot

Im having fun playing with different distros on my laptop, and thought Gentoo would be neat.
    so I chose the networkless install with the Gnome, off the live cd, and everything loads and it shows me localhost#
    what do i type in?
    i tried startx and it gave me a fatal error: no screens found.
    i went through xorg config and it seemed successful. I did this a few times, and every time, it tells me "no screens found"
    I dont know if it will help, but it says it failed to load the modules "mouse" "vga" and "kdb".

Thanks for help.

Just Joined!
    by the way, in case it makes a difference, im running a sony vaio laptop pcg frv31 if that makes a difference...

Processor Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz

Installed Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Display 15 in. XGA TFT LCD

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Processor
    Processor Type Celeron

Processor Manufacturer Intel

Processor Speed 2.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    Bus Speed 533 MHz
    Memory
    Installed RAM 512 MB

RAM Technology DDR SDRAM

Max Supported RAM 1.024 GB
    Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Capacity 40 GB

Storage Controller Type EIDE
    CD / DVD
    CD / DVD Type CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD) 8x (DVD)

Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD)

Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 10x (CD-RW)
    Display
    Display Tech XGA TFT LCD

Display Size 15 in.

Display Max. Resolution 1024 x 768

My (stupid) way of dealing with a non-working xorg.conf is to pop in a livecd. See if it works and then replace that xorg.conf with the distro's xorg.conf
    Good luck and let us know how you go!
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Just Joined!
    i popped in a knoppix live cd and that did work. I didnt think (again, stupidly ) about copying the conf file. I have since tried a gentoo based distro on my laptop w/out success. So since I have to reinstall anyways, is there something i can do when reinstalling to avoid this/get around it?

Thanks again.

Did you follow the handbook to install Gentoo? Or used the automated installer?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    Did you follow the handbook to install Gentoo? Or used the automated installer?
    I followed the GUI installer from the live cd.
    It is possible, however, since I have been unsuccessul in installing AND running gentoo that i did something incorrect. I would, however, think that it would be minimal since i was able to boot up correctly, and had (only) a "no screens found" error.

The recommended way of installing Gentoo is following the handbook, the installer either Text mode or Graphical Mode suck
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    The recommended way of installing Gentoo is following the handbook, the installer either Text mode or Graphical Mode suck
    good to know. I installed mandriva because I needed something to do my work on over thanksgiving, as I cant use my desktop. I'll give gentoo another try next week. What's the url of the handbook?

Quote Originally Posted by miesnerd
    What's the url of the handbook?
    From gentoo.org, it is the first link on the left :
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    From gentoo.org, it is the first link on the left :
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
    well great, now that I have that, any tips not found in there that anyone has to pass along, would be much enjoyed. If this works well on my laptop, and I enjoy it (VLOS was okay, but nothing special) I'll give it more time and you'll probably see me here more. Thanks everyone.