Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have totally bought into the idea of a better desktop: one that is web based and cleaner, less annoying and more intuitive, which seems to give me the choice ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Mezzo Desktop and Gentoo Help

I have totally bought into the idea of a better desktop: one that is web based and cleaner, less annoying and more intuitive, which seems to give me the choice of the Mezzo Desktop, produced by the Symphony OS linux distribution. I was hoping that someone else here might have done it before, as there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get it on non-debian based distributions. Also, recently I can not get to the SymphonyOS.com website. I don't know if they are doing server upgrades or did they switch to a different website url? If anyone knows, it would be nice to hear about it. Thanks to anyone who has information on this cool desktop environment.

the site has been down for a while now

to be honest, I have used it and it is in a very alpha shape. I would not call it very usable

I haven't tried it, but you might look at http://kuartetdesktop.sourceforge.net/
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    I haven't tried it, but you might look at http://kuartetdesktop.sourceforge.net/
    Looks quite nice. Seems exactly like Mezzo.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Banned
    Somehow I came across the files for orchestra and mezzo on a server supported by sun. I think I'm going to at least try it out. Thanks for the tip about Kuartet. I'll look into it. Dpkg doesn't seem to work that well (I get errors) so I'm going to try to use deb2targz on the two .deb files to install mezzo on gentoo. I'm also going to try Kuartet. If I get mezzo working, I'll post how I did it for those who may care or want to try it out but don't want to use debian.