Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi With this new gentoo rc there is these notion of critical services. These services cannot be removed from the boot runlevel. Now checkfs is a critical service. And it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Can I remove checkfs from boot level

Hi

With this new gentoo rc there is these notion of critical services. These services cannot be removed from the boot runlevel. Now checkfs is a critical service. And it takes unusually long time for my windows drive to get checked (it is huge in size) so I decided to remove checkfs from critical runlevel. I am no expert on this field so I would like to get your opinion on this:
    Is it safe to remove checkfs from boot runlevel?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

i wouldn't remove checkfs but you can configure fstab to make it so that your windows partition does not automout at boot therefore I'm pretty sure no checkfs.

just add the noauto option in /etc/fstab under your windows entry. Think this should work for you.

you should also check out /etc/conf.d/rc file as many things have changed recently with startups as you already know.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Thanks. Following your advice I have added fsck back and am not mounting windows on startup (noauto).
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi

Rebooted my comp only today and noticed that it checks all filesystems. Even those with noauto. Do you have any suggestions how I can atleast remove my windows C: filesystem (it is very huge drive and just too much of time is wasted in checking that filesystem).

Thanks in advance.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

set defaults values to 0 0 instead of 1 1 in /etc/fstab.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

That did not help so I changed some lines in the checkfs script and that skips my vfat drives now. Thanks for the help but!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike