Find the answer to your Linux question:
Straight to the point. I've just installed Gentoo onto my system's second hard drive (hdb) I had windows XP on primary hard drive (hda) I finished installing Gentoo, so rebooted, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Am I doomed forever?

Straight to the point.

I've just installed Gentoo onto my system's second hard drive (hdb)

I had windows XP on primary hard drive (hda)

I finished installing Gentoo, so rebooted, and my computer booted into windows, and I didn't know how to get back to gentoo.

I entered the CMOS and changed the boot sequence to hdd-1 from hdd-0, in the hopes this would boot gentoo.

Now, windows cannot boot, and I only get to linux using the boot CD.

I try to boot windows and it says i'm missing something like C:\windows\config.exe or something like that.

Can I fix this, or has changing the CMOS made my hdd read a different partition now corrupting my windows?

Help! It wouldn't be so bad but I'm a linux noob!

Quote Originally Posted by Crapwhereiswindows
    Straight to the point.

I've just installed Gentoo onto my system's second hard drive (hdb)

I had windows XP on primary hard drive (hda)

I finished installing Gentoo, so rebooted, and my computer booted into windows, and I didn't know how to get back to gentoo.
    Did you install a bootloader when you were done installing Gentoo? This is an easy step to forget considering the effort it takes to get Gentoo working.

I entered the CMOS and changed the boot sequence to hdd-1 from hdd-0, in the hopes this would boot gentoo.
    I think you mean BIOS. The CMOS is a battery-powered integrated circuit usually used to store information like your system time while the computer is turned off.

Now, windows cannot boot, and I only get to linux using the boot CD.
    That would make sense, because the bootloader for Microsoft Windows is on the other drive, and since you didn't install a bootloader on the Gentoo drive it does not know what to use when you boot.

I try to boot windows and it says i'm missing something like C:\windows\config.exe or something like that.

Can I fix this, or has changing the CMOS made my hdd read a different partition now corrupting my windows?
    No, changing your boot order in the BIOS won't corrupt anything. If you have your MS Windows CDROM handy I would boot to that and try to repair your install from there. Can you post the exact error message you're getting?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Okay phew, because I've got stuff on there I cannot lose. I fear I may have already though. In the attempt of trying to get ONE OS, I switched Gentoo to master and Windows to slave, and I've now broken one of the pins on the windows drive (cord was upside down and I didn't see) by pushing it right into the hdd box. I don't have the correct screwdriver to undo it so I'm going to take it to the PC shop in a few.

Basically like I said, I changed the drive from HDD-0 to HDD-1, and it said Unable to boot, the following window may be missing or corrupt: C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

Insert your xp disk to try to fix the problem.

(Confident that's what it says, but not 100% sure since I can't use that drive now because of pushing the pin)

EDIT: In desperate need for an OS I've used the graphic installer for Gentoo, but it has said Error! Could not activate swap /dev/hda2! The install is still going, but is there a way I can manually activate it? Thanks.

If you're just looking for an OS you can get working fairly quickly, try Ubuntu or Knoppix. Gentoo is a rather advanced distribution for someone new to Linux and it takes a long time to get working even if you're a veteran.

General information, in my personal experience XP (or any Windows I've used) doesn't seem to like being assigned to the slave position. That might be why you had problems when you swapped them and then tried to boot to the XP drive.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants