Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
where would i go to get drivers for a dell insp. 6400 for gentoo? or for linux at all? i have a dual core ddr2 laptop that runs like a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

drivers for gentoo

where would i go to get drivers for a dell insp. 6400 for gentoo? or for linux at all? i have a dual core ddr2 laptop that runs like a 486. please help!

Just Joined!
    Use lspci in the terminal to have it list all of your hardware. Then from there search my friend, there are plenty of guides out there I'm sure. If lspci doesn't work emerge pciutils .

IF you are new to Linux, do yourself a favor a choose an easier distro, you won't get much noob help with Gentoo. It's aimed to advanced users
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    I dont think you need drivers. I had once configured gentoo on such a system and all the kernel modules worked fine.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!

thanks

thanks, juan pablo, but noobs start somewhere too and i like gentoo.
    apoorv, how did you get dma to work? hdparm said op. not supported even on the dvd drive. also, after you emerge pciutils, how do you use it/run it/install it? please forgive my noob ignorance, but at least i try and dont bi*** out and go crying back to windows, right? give the noobs some credit, especially for trying something besides that damn sheepherding ubuntu.

Well, it was just a friendly advice. Sorry if it offended you
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Juan Pablo was just trying to help. It is not advisable for new users to use Gentoo, but if you are persistant, you can get it.

First off, lets get the basics out of the way. Here are some links you will have to have to get through Gentoo:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com
    http://forums.gentoo.org
    http://www.google.com/linux

There is a post here by me somewhere that has a LOT of gentoo related links and help articles.

Now to answer your question. Most of what you need will be in the kernel, and what isn't you can find in portage. If you check the gentoo forums, you should be able to find someone else that uses your laptop and will be able to find your answer.

I would suggest reading all the Gentoo documentation since you are new to Linux in general. It will teach you a lot, and you will need the information to make it with gentoo.

I would have advised against using the gtk installer if that is what you used. You really get no idea how gentoo works by doing that.

Anyway, just read the documentation at http://www.gentoo.org and it will help you on your quest to find drivers for your laptop. You won't find laptop specific drivers, or even brand name specific drivers. You will have to find out the actual chip or chipset used for your hardware.

Link to my help links for reference (it should have been stickied but I don't guess anyone noticed it):

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gen...ing-links.html

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

thanks

i was able to fix DMA by tricking the OS into seeing it as scsi. don't know how it worked but it did. oh, juan pablo, i am used to ppl flaming n00bs instead of honestly giving advice. I would rather sweat blood fixing an OS i like rather than swithcing back to a less savvy os. no offence taken! thnks much guys.

You said tricking it into thinking it is scsi? Are you sure it isn't SATA and it is reading it as SATA? The kernel names SATA devices just like it would SCSI devices.

I have successfully put gentoo on my hp dv2000t laptop, with core 2 duo and intel ipw3945 a/b/g integrated wireless. It isn't hard, but you do have to know your hardware.

If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask. Someone is bound to have had the problem, or seen someone that has had it.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

no

no, the dvd is not, which is the one i made scsi, but the hdd is sataII. i still have a lot to lear, but it was worth trying and it worked... weird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast