Find the answer to your Linux question:
after installing gentoo for the first time from the minimum install 50meg cd i try and boot into it but when it ets to the stage checking root filesystem it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

first time gentoo install problem

after installing gentoo for the first time from the minimum install 50meg cd i try and boot into it but when it ets to the stage checking root filesystem it says

fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/ROOT
    /dev/ROOT:
    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not a swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternative superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

*Filesystem couldn't be fixed
    Give root password for maintenance:
    (Or type Control-D to continue
    is this because i didn't create a ext2 /boot partition? I decided to just use a swap and one ext3 root partiton. anyone know how to fix this?

You seem to have messed up your fstab. What's wrong is your fstab should read /dev/sda or hda whatever to be able to boot. You seemed to have messed that step on the install, throw your livecd back in and chroot into your hard drive again and fix your /etc/fstab if you don't want this error everytime you try to boot

Just Joined!
    cheers mate all working now, looks like i skipped the fstab configuration on install should read through things more thoroughly

Quote Originally Posted by olliepetch
    cheers mate all working now, looks like i skipped the fstab configuration on install should read through things more thoroughly
    Nice, anything else don't hesitate to ask. post count++

Just Joined!
    actually yeah i can't connect to my router after installation, on boot its complains about eth0 not existing but it will find it if i run "modprobe sis900". then if i run "dhcpcd eth0" it seems to work ifconfig shows that an ip has been assgined and subnetmask etc is all correct, but i can't access anything online.
    when i installed gentoo from the livecd i got the connection working by running the net-setup tool and used dhcp to detect settings this worked fine, and still does work fine if i boot back into the livecd but the connection is lost when i try to chroot back into my hard drive.

i wouldn't be bothered about the wired connection not working if i could get my wireless up and running so ive installed wireless tools, ndiswrapper and the windows driver for my pcmcia wifi card. running ndiswrapper -l shows the driver is present but does not show hardware present (ive got the same driver to work using ndiswrapper on fedora so it should work here). i think it may not be seeing the pcmcia card because i didn't install pcmcia-cs package when installing gentoo, but know i have no internet connection to run the command to install it.

any ideas on how i can get a connection up?
    cheers

Just Joined!
    not to worry i managed to get my ethernet connection working by adding " nameserver 192.168.1.1" to my resolv.conf