Find the answer to your Linux question:
So after deciding I'd like to finnaly try Linux out after playing around with Fedora at school. I looked at Gentoo as the best distro for me, and decided I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Live CD Help? Very new to Linux.

So after deciding I'd like to finnaly try Linux out after playing around with Fedora at school.

I looked at Gentoo as the best distro for me, and decided I wanted to try it out.

Now I burn the ISO, pop it in and I get a timeout error at my sound. Fine, I just do the nosound command, and try it agian and it stops at "Configuring OpenGL" and times out, at about 80% booting every time.

Now being a total newbie I have no idea how to fix this and haven't found anything through searches, so if anyone can explain it easily I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks in advanced!

failing to install

I like fedora and even tried gentoo. like you i'm new to linux. did you ever get gentoo installed or is it failing to install? you may have a hardware conflict. my problem with both mentioned versions was neither allowed me wireless access or to play a dvd on my sony vaio laptop. I eventually discovered freespire and am happy with it. Did you try loading fedora core?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cutout
    I like fedora and even tried gentoo. like you i'm new to linux. did you ever get gentoo installed or is it failing to install? you may have a hardware conflict. my problem with both mentioned versions was neither allowed me wireless access or to play a dvd on my sony vaio laptop. I eventually discovered freespire and am happy with it. Did you try loading fedora core?
    Well off the Gentoo Live disk when it's booting it stops, so I never actually get into it.

I haven't tried installing Fedora yet, I also just tried the Live CD on my other PC and same problem, stops at the configuring OpenGL.

I liked Fedora, but I'd like to try a couple of other distros before, and I've read a ton of good things about it so I'm pretty intrested in trying it out too.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    If you are having trouble understanding Gentoo or Fedora, I suggest using an easier to configure distro such as a Debian variant (Ubuntu is popular and has good forums; Knoppix is a good live version) or SuSE 10.2 or 9.3. You would also do well using a free version of Linspire (Freespire) if you want to have an easy to use system that does all the hard stuff for you (DVD's and iPod support). If you want to learn the system because you wish to program or just because its cool, Gentoo and Fedora are your choices. For a newbie, I suggest an easier to install/use system than Gentoo. I use it, and love it, but the choices can become overwhelming, especially if you just want it to "just work". If you want wireless, you will have to get help from the distro-specific forums, because you will most likely have to install wireless windows drivers manually. Good Luck!!

*If you really want Gentoo, find the help menu for your boot loader, and use the option for basic or lowlevel graphics. That should* do the trick.