Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Live cd help

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Live cd help

HI All

Im new in gentoo, and i need some help. I have gentoo 2006.1 live cd. And when i boot from this cd, its all ok. But i don't know how to set the root password. I have try with "passwd", but its not working.
    Secont thing is when i try to install gentoo on my computer, i need tarball. I have downloaded tarball for my configuration with windows. And save it on fat32 partition. Now i can't access to that folder or disc. I Have figured out that i need mount my discs. How do i mount? I have read gentoo handbook. But i havent found there nothing about my problems.

Sorry for my english please help.

OK i have set root password. But i still don't now how to mount.
    I have two disces and i wanna use second partition on first disc (hda2 ? ). It is fat32.
    can someone help me?

Just Joined!
    Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
    it should be fairly simple to mount your fat32 partition. If that's the second partition on the first disk it would indeed be /dev/hda2. you might mount it like
    sudo "mkdir /mnt/fat; mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/fat;" and then you could navigate there cd /mnt/fat and get your tarball.

if you have questions, post the errors you get please (copy-paste)

4. $spacer_open
    I get this error when i try to install:
    Exception received:
    PartitionsMountedError :FATAL: partition: Cannot partition /dev/hda due to filesystems being mounted
    Please submit a bug report (after searching to make sure it's not a known issue and verifying you didn't do something stupid) with the contents of /var/log/installer.log.failed, /tmp/installprofile.xml, the last ~50 lines of /tmp/compile_output.log, and the version of the installer you used (release or CVS snapshot w/ date)
    but i have clear partitions and done all like is recommended.