Find the answer to your Linux question:
This might be a stupid question but the good old American School System told me there is no such thing so I'm asking it anyway. Whenever I try and emerge ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Emerge Conflict Resolution ( Most likely a newbie question )

This might be a stupid question but the good old American School System told me there is no such thing so I'm asking it anyway.

Whenever I try and emerge anything kde related I get a conflict like this:

Code:
    emerge kdeutils
    Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! Error: the =kde-base/ksmserver-3.5* package conflicts with another package;
    !!!        the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
    !!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.
    Ive ran emerge -p to check and see what the blocker is and the culprit is kde-base/kdebase-3.5.2-r2. Which brings me to my problem.

How am I suppose to resolve this conflict if I need to remove kde-base in order to install these other kde apps. Isn't that counter intuitive?

Any help always appriciated.

Maybe ksmserver-3.5* is incompatible with kdebase-3.5.2-r2, notice the equal (=) symbol. Are you using any overlay?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

It sounds to me like you are trying to mix the split ebuilds with the full monolithic kde ebuild.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml

That is a link to the split-ebuilds how to if you installed the monolithic kde.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close