Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am useing the Gentoo Live 2006.1 DVD and when it installs, 90% of the time, it stalls out and then freezes after it saids 'starting gpm'. Why is this? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

system stalls out/freezes when 'starting gpm'

I am useing the Gentoo Live 2006.1 DVD and when it installs, 90% of the time, it stalls out and then freezes after it saids 'starting gpm'. Why is this? Ugghhh....so fusterated. Can anyone help?

tpl
    Linux User
    well, one move is to disable gpm; next time it lets you
    boot, go in and either rm gpm, or rename it, or chmod
    a-x so it's not executable. Then you can get into the
    system to figure out what's wrong. Maybe your X setup
    isn't right.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    I have suggested this many times before on this forum. It is generally not advisable to use a Live CD/DVD to install gentoo. If you want to use gentoo in all its glory go for a stage3 tar-ball installation or better still use your existing Linux distribution to install gentoo. You can use the stage 3 files present on your DVD.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

The gentoo livecd is fine, if you don't use the gui installer.

I usually use the ubuntu livecd though, as it recognizes my wireless and then just start with the gentoo handbook.

But my suggestion would be to find a livecd that works, and install gentoo from the cli. Just follow the manual like you would in a gentoo livecd.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by apoorv_khurasia
    I have suggested this many times before on this forum. It is generally not advisable to use a Live CD/DVD to install gentoo. If you want to use gentoo in all its glory go for a stage3 tar-ball installation or better still use your existing Linux distribution to install gentoo. You can use the stage 3 files present on your DVD.
    I completely agree, but it's kinda like 'what came first, the chicken or the egg?'. I can't do a non live dvd installation because I can't get my modem on line to do the tar installation. and i can't get my modem on line without getting gentoo installed. I think what I might do is try to find a wifi card for a laptop that I know for sure that gentoo will support and try installing it like that useing my schools free wifi. Would that work out ok?

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    The problem is not with the liveCD but he GUI installer as gruven pointed it out. Also it is advisable to use some other liveCD such as knoppix so that it can detect most of your hardware. Gentoo liveCD is not good at it. It is even better to use an existing linux distro on your system to install Gentoo. All goes parallel to the liveCD case. You chroot into the gentoo root and install things....
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page