Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Installing Programs (RPM, Slackware??)

I installed Gentoo and am trying to install nmap but when I type RPM it says command not found so I tried installpkg and it says the same thing. How do you install programs if there is no installer included??

You install things in Gentoo using portage. Here's a tutorial on it:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=2&chap=1

If you're new to Linux in general I highly recommend you do not start with Gentoo. It has a lot more of a learning curve than other distributions. On the other hand, you do learn a lot getting it to work.
    Registered Linux user #270181

Uh oh, this emerge command is already getting over my head. Talking about Arches and make.profile stuff..

I am very new to linux and am looking for a dist that I can install some of my commonly used programs (nmap, ettercap, ethereal etc) and setup as a webserver, ftp server. Just trying to learn the basics of linux.

What dist do you suggest? I like to use command line mostly but like to have a GUI on the side for when I get confused.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepGround
    What dist do you suggest?
    I kind of set myself up for that one, didn't I? Any major distribution will work just fine as a webserver/ftp server, and most have your favorite programs (ethereal, etc) installed by default. You might take a look at DistroWatch. The top 5 on the list are the most popular, and probably have everything you need.

In other words, I don't suggest any one in particular, just that you try a few and see what hits you.

Smile

Thanx Man. I am checkin out SUSE 9.2 right now and it had rpm right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepGround
    Thanx Man. I am checkin out SUSE 9.2 right now and it had rpm right off the bat.
    No problem, but if I may suggest, make sure you get the newest version of any Linux you try just so you don't run into any issues that may have already been fixed. SuSE 9.2 is several years old. Their latest version is 10.2 if I remember correctly.

I actually just dumped Gentoo after almost 3 years of using it straight for the new Fedora Core 6, I say give that a try, it's a lot easier to manage, about as fast, and damn it's a lot nicer than Gentoo now imo

I have settled on Ubuntu, there is loads of support for it

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwylie
    I actually just dumped Gentoo after almost 3 years of using it straight for the new Fedora Core 6, I say give that a try, it's a lot easier to manage, about as fast, and damn it's a lot nicer than Gentoo now imo
    Any reason why? or just up and change? I am just curious. I use all sorts of distros on my computers (debian, gentoo, ubuntu, kubuntu).

Code is Poetry