Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i installed gentoo 2006.1 livecd with networkless setting (only have wifi) and when i booted into gentoo my first thought is to get internet (duh) so i try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel/wifi question [solved]

Ok, i installed gentoo 2006.1 livecd with networkless setting (only have wifi) and when i booted into gentoo my first thought is to get internet (duh) so i try to install ndiswrapper, manually fetch all the depends and it is now looking for the kernel source, as well as the .config file; if someone could explain where those are and how to get portage to find them id really appreciate it. oh and im running the amd64 gentoo.

thanks in advance.

tpl
    Linux User
    welcome to the forum

for wireless probs, suggest a read of the sticky in our "wireless internet" forum
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenoidea
    Ok, i installed gentoo 2006.1 livecd with networkless setting (only have wifi) and when i booted into gentoo my first thought is to get internet (duh) so i try to install ndiswrapper, manually fetch all the depends and it is now looking for the kernel source, as well as the .config file; if someone could explain where those are and how to get portage to find them id really appreciate it. oh and im running the amd64 gentoo.

thanks in advance.
    So it is asking for your kernel source and your .config. You need a working kernel config for it to work, so you need to configure your kernel. I guess you used Genkernel, since you don't have a kernel config.

Also, we need to know a lot more about your system. Without knowing what hardware you have, it is very hard to make an informed guess about what to do. But, for now, it looks like you need to configure and build your kernel. As for genkernel, I don't use it, so maybe someone else could help you with that.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    well i didnt use genkernel, but gentoo probably did so thats why, it just seems strange that gentoos portage cant run when you use genkernel, o well. I just downloaded kernel manually and set it up that way, ndiswrapper installed and everythings good.

Portage will work with genkernel, but you have to at least run "make menuconfig" and save the config to get a working config in your sources. Also, your symlink /usr/src/linux has to point to your current running kernel for the drivers to compile.

Gentoo only does what you tell it to, so if you didn't use genkernel, it didn't either. If you didn't have a .config file in /usr/src/linux, then you didn't configure your kernel, or you didn't create the symlink. But, since you downloaded the sources manually, and probably configured it to your need, then you have a .config file.

All of the drivers in portage that I have found look in /usr/src/linux for the .config file.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    o ok, but yeah i didnt configure my kernel, i assume gentoo installed the default one that came with my cd (live cd- networkless option).

I didn't read your first post well. It did use the livecd kernel, but to install drivers, you still have to have a .config file in /usr/src/linux.

Run "make menuconfig" and then save when you exit.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry