Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I have finally been able to install gentoo.... Did the networkless install... machine boots upo no probs but i can' t get online. No internet connection showing. what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't get online? gentoo

Hi there,

I have finally been able to install gentoo....

Did the networkless install...

machine boots upo no probs but i can' t get online. No internet connection showing.

what do i do nest?

please and thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Take a look at the networking section of the Gentoo handbook.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    Take a look at the networking section of the Gentoo handbook.
    thanks but for the reply but that section is of no help. I did the network less in stall... the section you referenced me to is for use with the install cd... the internet connection was working fine when the cd was in.

that is why i stated i did the network less install in my original post. I was hoping for a response from someone who had a similar problem.

I am perfectly capable of reading the handbook and have so thanks but no thanks for the lazy and slack advice.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chekdalaypa
    I did the network less in stall... the section you referenced me to is for use with the install cd... the internet connection was working fine when the cd was in.
    Unless you have dial-up, why would you do a networkless install when you claim you have internet access from the live cd?

Quote Originally Posted by Chekdalaypa
    I am perfectly capable of reading the handbook
    For someone who's so capable, perhaps you should take another look at that handbook. While you're at it, maybe you can try looking past the first chapter this time... particularly the section on "Gentoo Network Configuration"

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...x86.xml?part=4

Only the first chapter of the Gentoo Handbook is geared towards installation instructions. The networkless install guide is a suppliment to that section for people without network access at install time. Regardless of your install method, the rest of the information in the handbook still applies. RTFB.

thanks but no thanks for the lazy and slack advice.
    A quick and lazy description of a problem gets a quick and lazy response. You've posted nothing about whether you're using wireless, ethernet, modem, etc. We have no idea whether you're behind a router and only need to obtain an ip address from it, or whether you need to dial up, connect to your ISP directly from your machine, and authenticate with a password.

Perhaps you shouldn't be too quick to dismiss people's assistance. It seems to me that you're the one who can't figure out network configuration...

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I am perfectly capable of reading the handbook and have so thanks but no thanks for the lazy and slack advice.
    If you want detailed advice, then post detailed info about your problem instead of leaving us guessing. If you are capable of reading the handbook, then how come you missed the networking section which clearly shows how to setup the network connection and set it up as a service? Honestly with an attitude like yours, you will not get much help on any Linux forum.