Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just completed my first install of Gentoo & it's mostly working well, but it's annoying to recognize USB devices, and my Frugalware partition, as I have to explicitly mount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Devices Not Being Recognized

I just completed my first install of Gentoo & it's mostly working well, but it's annoying to recognize USB devices, and my Frugalware partition, as I have to explicitly mount them. I can't access Windows and Cdroms at all. I keep adding stuff to the kernel hoping that something magically will occur, but I out of even magically ideas.

Here's my fstab file:

/dev/sdc2 \/ ext3 noatime 0 1
    /dev/sdc4 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/frugalware ext3 umask=0222,defaults 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0222,defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec

Thanks

So ... do you want automatic mounting?

For that, use ivman or something similar
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Juan, thanks for your excellent idea. I'm sure it is getting me closer to answer, but sadly in itself it changed nothing. I still have mount by hand the USB drives and my other linux partition--which is quite annoying. Even worse, my windows partition and cdrom is still not detected at all!

I do have slightly new info about the window partition. When I attempt to mount it (mnt /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows), the reply I get is "unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'. I'm reasonably sure I've done everything I could possibly do in terms of the kernel to have ntfs recognized, though of course I could be wrong.

Anyway, any ideas would helpful. & I think it's bedtime for me.