Find the answer to your Linux question:
Which part of the Gentoo Documentation is the step by step manual of stage1 installation? I downloaded the minimal CD but cant find it in the documentation. Can anyone post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question about Stage1

Which part of the Gentoo Documentation is the step by step manual of stage1 installation? I downloaded the minimal CD but cant find it in the documentation. Can anyone post me the link in documentation? thx

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Stage 3 is now the recommended way to install Gentoo and most of their docs assume this is what you are going to do. If you still want to do a stage 1 install, take a look here.

Re

Well yes but this needs stage 3 installation, isnt there a step by steb guide to install from minimal CD?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Its probably best to search on google for "gentoo+stage+1". There seems to be some articles that may help you out, but unfortunately most are old. Also maybe you should take a look at the gentoo developer docs in case there is something in there that may help you.

Re

What about if I have chosen Stage 3 installation, from minimal CD, the network installation offcourse, how much data do I need to download during installation?

It depends on what you install, it will be very different if you install Fluxbox or Gnome or if you don't even install X .
    You'll be downloading at least 70 mb plus the stage3 tarball (around 120 mb)

If you are new to Gentoo, don't install it from stage1, you'll have lots of problems.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Gaspacho

Allright Im gonna listen that, many experienced people told me not to start from stage 1 so Ill start from stage 3, hmm I would like to install only the command promtp version and install gnome later. So 200 mb will be enough to install command prompt version? I guess gnome takes something around 600 megabytes then?