Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hey chris congrats on being the first person to post in the gentoo section its about time someone didn't read the handbook and try to install gentoo from the quick install guide. If you read the handbook you know the really long one that would get you through the install without all these questions you asked. he he slacker oh well have a beer on me he eh you are the first so you deserve one

Linux Engineer
    I read the install.html that was on the install cdrom I had. About 40 screen pages, a lot more info than the quick install guide.

And I've just installed Gentoo - again!

Tis working well. So far.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darl
    Chris,

what is `genkernel --configure' I don't remember reading about that in any of the manuals -even the genkernel manual.

I've been having deadly problems configuring the kernel, now I'll resort to anything to get it compiled....
    Darl, genkernel --configure gives you the menu for adding modules and tweaking the kernel which I got with a manual kernel install. Least it seemed similar!!

Anyways, just using genkernel for me didn't work. But using it with the --configure option and it worked fine.

Have a go.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Chris, and on doing your own kernel i have in the past just used the .config that genkernel generated with just a quick look through it to make shure everything is there that is needed and ofcourse adding what i need to, that drove me to need to recompile in the first place...
    and i have also just run genkernel just to cheat on doing the whole config myself....and imeaditly recompiled my own kernel
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Also, when installing binaries from the cd you need to export pckgdir="/mnt/cdrom/all" (not sure if thats the exact syntax, been a while) but it is covered in the install doc.