Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Gonna have another go at Gentoo and knocking up a kernel in preference to genkernel. From the Gentoo quick install guide it says: (Install the kernel sources) # emerge <kernel-package-here> ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Gentoo install Qs

Gonna have another go at Gentoo and knocking up a kernel in preference to genkernel.

From the Gentoo quick install guide it says:

(Install the kernel sources) # emerge <kernel-package-here>
    (Configure your kernel using genkernel...) # emerge genkernel; genkernel --menuconfig all
    (or (1) manually build your kernel) # cd /usr/src/linux; make menuconfig;
    ( (2) Include VM fs, /proc fs, /dev fs, /dev fs auto mount at boot)
    ( (3) Compile your kernel) # make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
    ( (4) Copy over the kernel) # cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot; cp System.map /boot

Which is all well and good but (Q1) what's (2) on about? There's summat similar in install.html on the cdrom and I assume it's about loading modules. If so how do you find out the exact module name to use and where do you bung it??

(Q2) Also, where the make menuconfig gives you the option of module or compile in kernel what's best??

(Q3) Also what's the name of the kernel generated by this process?

From the networking section you have:

(List modules to be loaded at startup) # nano -w /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-<version>

Probably answered part of Q1 above but again how do I know the exact modules name?

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    *cough*

Lansbury's Lido

Linux User
    I decided to step up from my stage 3 install and give the stage 2 a go on my laptop. Like you, I also chose to manual build the kernel. Although, when I left for work this morning, it was still emerging the ati-drivers so I haven't completed it yet.

Q1. I added support to the file systems I'm using (VM, proc, dev, reiserfs, ext3, second extended fs, and automatically mount as boot). As for specific modules, I just expanded the appropriate sections. For example, I expanded the 10/100 nic section and choose support for my Realtek 8139. Does this help?

Q2. Support for file systems must not be compiled as modules or else you can't mount them. As for everything else, I don't see why you couldn't compile them as modules. Come to think of it, I think I set my nic support to compile in the kernel (*) instead of as a module (M). We'll see what happens when I reboot.

Q3. After compiling, the name of the kernel is bzImage and it's in your arch/i386/boot/ folder.

Good luck with your install, and keep us posted. I'll find out tonight how well I did on my first stage 2 (and no genkernel). :P
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Engineer
    Cheers for that Coppertop.

One more question

If I select, for example, my nic driver as a module in menuconfig will it automatically get loaded at boot and if not how do I add it to the file (whatever that file is, can't remember the name. Do I just include 8937too (for example) on a new line or is there a format to follow. IIRC the Gentoo docs just said add it to the file but didn't tell you how to add it.

IYSWIM.

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

You just add the module name to /etc/modules.autoload. Just make sure the symlink is mapped to the correct /etc/modules.autoload.d/* file.

Code:
    $gentooUsers++;
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Cheers all.

Chickened out and done genkernel --configure

Tis working now though so I is happy.

Another Q!!!!

Haven't done mirrorselect but emerge is pulling stuff in from an external source. I'd prefer it to use the cd. How do I do that?

Ta
    Lansbury's Lido

If you want to use the CD, that's covered under the GRP installation instructions in the handbook...but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The bloody thing has run off...

Here's the only thing I've found that's close: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap4. Hope it helps.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Ta Sarumont.

I used the GRP install as per instructions, but it's just that after reboot it just downloads whatever I want to emerge from the net instead of the cd.

Tis an annoyance rather than a problem especially as I'm on 150kbs.

Another Q!!!!!!

emerge -k package and emerge package???

Does the -k install a prebuilt package?

QQQ!!!!

Also when I've downloaded a package do I need to do

rc-update add package default
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Engineer
    emerge -k installs a prebuilt package if it's available.. otherwise it falls back to source...

you only need to use rc-update if what you installed has a daemon that needs to be started automatically...

also, check /etc/make.conf and set your binary package directory variable (i forgot what it is exactly) to where you mount your CD... and then just use emerge -k....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Chris,

what is `genkernel --configure' I don't remember reading about that in any of the manuals -even the genkernel manual.

I've been having deadly problems configuring the kernel, now I'll resort to anything to get it compiled....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast