Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, Im installing gentoo from netinstall - using links in other terminal to view the online documentation. Everything went fine (already tried 2 times) but every time I try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo installation , got stuck

Hi there, Im installing gentoo from netinstall - using links in other terminal to view the online documentation. Everything went fine (already tried 2 times) but every time I try there is one thing where I get stuck. The emerge portage command.

I takes soooo looooong and it never finishes cause everytime it just stops on one place. Is there a way to make it faster? Something that might be helpful:

Got nc6120 HP laptop with pentium M processor. Settings in my CFLAGS:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -pipe"

I think the problem might be that it takes so long and that the HDD turns itself off after some time but not sure. Anyone with help please?

PS: I think I did everything before emerge portage correctly.

How long did you wait?
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Re

I stopped emerge portage itself after 5 hours and thats pretty a lot for stage3 installation I gues...mainly on 1,86 GHz with 1 GB of RAM

Yes, that's a lot specially for Portage, it is written in Python and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes on a decent internet connection (say 128 kbps)
    Can you post the text exactly when it gets stuck?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Re

Well I think I cant cause everytime it stops at te different place. Yesterday I tried something. When it started I aborted it using Ctrl + C. Then I did emerge poertage again and I found out that all thats hapening is compilation. I could clearly see all that stuff like creating makefile, checking compiler and output (a.out)...I dont know, maby Ill try not to modify CFLAGS except MAKEOPT="-j2" and then just add mirrors and try it this way.

I don't know why it is compiling, Portage is written in Python and Python is an interpreted language. Are you sure it is not installing dependencies?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums