Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have a small question to ask is gentoo able to install itself on RAID because I installed gentoo but it was unable to find the RAID. I believe I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Raid

I have a small question to ask is gentoo able to install itself on RAID because I installed gentoo but it was unable to find the RAID. I believe I have hardware RAID because I turn the RAID on in the bios. They connect and it says healthy nVIDIA strip.

As long as you have the proper modules loaded for the raid chipset, the OS will see the raid as one disk.

I did set up RAID before I installed the operating system and it didn't see the raid and saw the hardrive as 2 disks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think you might be talking about IDE raid, in which case I have 0 experience. I've done tons of SCSI raids, which were all pretty straightforward. You set it up like you've done and go to install the OS. It sees one drive and you partition it. I guess it's a little bit different for IDE raid. You probably need an extra module that isn't loaded.

To be honest this distro is complicated because I've been trying to add packages to it to make it more suitable for my needs and gentoo wouldn't work. I even installed to hardrives and only 1 came up. So this means I have to redo the whole installation. Do you know of any straight forward books for gentoo and I mean good ones (you know the ones with about 900 pages).

No, not a fan of gentoo. I use it on my sun blade 2000 just cause nothing else would work and I am not a fan of solaris. emerging kde took about 20 hours, and it's a dual processor 1.015 ghz ultrasparc 3. I think the concept of gentoo is cool but almost a novelty. What made you want to use gentoo?

We'll I did want to learn gentoo but not so sudden but Debian wouldn't let me mount the Cd so I couldn't install Debian and Ubuntu didn't work. I tried PClinuxOS but it ruined and somehow erased windows (don't ask because I don't even know myself). So I tried gentoo because I know it is a good distro that can be customized to whatever I want. That is why I chose gentoo because it is the only one that actually recognized all drives and loaded up (except nVIDIA and I'm trying to find out how to install it) and I believe that is it.

Ubuntu didn't work? What happened?

After I clicked run live cd it paused and the screen frose with the blinking tab.

Are you booting to the cd or trying to run it from an existing OS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast