Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am madly trying to get Gentoo on my computer. I have a friend who would allow me to use a boot disk of a different version of Linux; however, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Problems Installing Gentoo

I am madly trying to get Gentoo on my computer. I have a friend who would allow me to use a boot disk of a different version of Linux; however, I got my heart set on Gentoo, and I don't want to give up on it yet.

• Problem: I can't get Gentoo to load onto my computer
    • Things I have done:
      1. Downloaded and burned the program on my school computer (faster)
      2. Verified it on my home computer
      3. Burned two suposedly bootable discs from that same computer
    • What happens with the first disc (this one I formatted as Gentoo's site suggested):
      1. I put it into my CD drive
      2. It begins to load
      3. DOS comes up and waits for a command
    • None of what happens here is in the installation guide from Gentoo's site
    • What happens with the second disc (this one I formatted the way that made sense to me):
      1. I put it into my drive
      2. It begins booting as described in the handbook
      3. Then my computer restarts

For either one of these discs, if you have any advice I'd be very grateful. I'm sure I can handle the rest of the installation if I can get it to a part that I'm more comfortable with (or at least is in the handbook)

While I do not belive this is the problem, I did not format my drive, because I fully intend to have this be the only os on my computer. If you think this is the problem let me know. I am not unexperinced in installing an os, but I have not yet encountered a problem like this.

Has anyone used the easy installer and have any opinions on that? I belive my problem is my disc; however, I wouldn't mind if someone offered up weather this is a logical solution or not.

If you would rather e-mail me instead of posting; please e-mail me at yesjesusiknow@hotmail.com
    Last edited by chrstina; 03-22-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: .... edited out of bordom, nothing significatly changed

how did you burn disk? if you are getting DOS prompt after booting up from disk, it means you have created bootable disk explicitly. .iso images are bootable by default and no need to make those bootable. select 'Burn Image to Disk' option in your CD Burner package.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

How I burned my discs....

One of them I burned as the website told me to; as an image. The other one I saved as a bootable disc. The one I saved as a bootable disc starts out correctly- but then screws up. The one I saved as an image immediatly screws up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The one I saved as a bootable disc starts out correctly- but then screws up. The one I saved as an image immediatly screws up.
    thats strange. if you have created a Bootable disc, it should display DOS or DRDOS prompt only and it wont do anything else.
    post the exact message thrown by both CDs.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First