Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am just about done installing Gentoo on a Dell GX240. I have been following the install handbook as best I can. I am now on step 11. Finalizing your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help installing. Have a video problem

I am just about done installing Gentoo on a Dell GX240. I have been following the install handbook as best I can. I am now on step 11. Finalizing your Gentoo Installation. I rebooted my pc as the handbook described and when it came back up the video was way off. I donít know how to explain it better than that but I have included a photo of the screen. I am very new to Linux as in this is only my second attempt to install Gentoo and I have no other experience with Linux at all. If someone could tell me what I am missing or what step I missed I would really appreciate it. Thanks

The image is here http://www.sincityharley.com/images/gentooimage.jpg

Just Joined!
    what kernel did you use to do the install and did you do the make menuconfig yourself or did you use genkernel or something like that? I just finished my first install of Gentoo it took me a few days to get all the way through it with gnome and everything working.

Just Joined!
    I did use genkernel. Could it be that genkernel didnt detect my video card properly? was there a step that I missed with regards to specifying my video card?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Possibly, I didn't hit problems with video and stuff till i went to install gnome. That's when I ran into problems. But I didn't use genkernel. I manually did it and just left it at normal. When I tried to use the livecd install it kept failing at the downloading genpatches portion so...I went totally command line and did the kernel compile myself.

Just Joined!
    any idea how I can i start over compiling the kernel manually without actaully reformatting and starting all over?

Just Joined!
    # cd /usr/src/linux
    #make menuconfig
    (setup your kernel options)
    #time make -j2
    #make modules_install
    #env-update

I think thats it

Just Joined!
    i forgot a bit of the stuff heres the kernel stuff

# cd /usr/src/linux
    # make menuconfig