Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help! I'm trying to install Gentoo on a 300Gb SATA hard drive and I get this message: "exception received during the install that is outside of the normal install errors. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

exception received during the install that is outside of the normal

Help!

I'm trying to install Gentoo on a 300Gb SATA hard drive and I get this message: "exception received during the install that is outside of the normal install errors. This is a bad thing. The error was: No space left on device".

The drive is new and partitioned to allocate almost the whole disk (except / and swap) to the data partition.

Any ideas why I'm getting this message?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Please tell me that you are not trying to use the graphical installer, are you?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    This is using the command line installer (although I did also try the graphical installer and got a similar message).

Could this be because I don't have a IDE HDD? The first primary IDE is my DVD drive. I'm thinking that somehow Gentoo is getting confused over which drive it's trying to write to.

All the installers, including the command line and GTK one are messed and DOESN'T work most of the time!

Use the handbook
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info! You probably saved me a lot of time and frustration because doing a manual install by the documentation is probably beyond my capabilities and available time to learn right now. I tried installing Ubuntu and got a similar failure and I thought Gentoo would solve my problem because of its ability to configure just about everything, but if I can't even get a basic install done quickly it's not worth it. BTW... my guess was right. I installed an old 40Gb IDE drive and Ubuntu installed without problems. The only odd thing is that although the partitioner recognized both my hard drives, once Ubuntu was up and running, only my IDE was mounted. No trace of the 300Gb SATA drive! I'll have to figure out what's going on with that but at least I have a system!

Thanks!