Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently reformatting my centOS web server system and I've been thinking about using Gentoo for my MySQL servers. Since Gentoo is not a package based operating system, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Switching from Package Based Linux to Gentoo

I am currently reformatting my centOS web server system and I've been thinking about using Gentoo for my MySQL servers.

Since Gentoo is not a package based operating system, it is ideal for compiled applications (such as a compiled MySQL dameon). Correct me if I am wrong, but since the OS is compile based, wouldn't it mean that MySQL could perform much more efficiently if it was compiled on Gentoo linux?

It depends on how it was built. Some will say it is faster some will say it is not. Gentoo is more about customization than anything.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    So where can start? Learning about Gentoo that is. Are there any recomendable tutorials?

What are the features that can be customized in Gentoo that probilly cannot be customized in any other linux distrobution?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    All you have to know about gentoo and the installation you will find there :

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

I would advice you stick to the manual tightly. I...err...strayed from the path, and found myself recompiling KDE.

Not fun.