Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, take it rather easy on me because I'm new to gentoo but I think that I've found out Apache will create a website people can see, correct? Well this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apache web server. [Resolved]

Alright, take it rather easy on me because I'm new to gentoo but I think that I've found out Apache will create a website people can see, correct? Well this is true if I go to http://192.168.0.111 which is my server's IP address. But if I misunderstand the network dynamics isn't this IP just for my network and if ANYONE else tries it won't it just give them an DNS error? How do I have my website broadcasted with an actual unique IP?

My network is setup that I have a wireless router with 2 cat 5 cables coming from it, one to my server and the other to another computer, while my laptop runs off the wireless.

Also if I go to http://192.168.0.111 on the other computer connected to the router it still works, but I assumed as much because its connected to my network.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibblez View Post
    Alright, take it rather easy on me because I'm new to gentoo but I think that I've found out Apache will create a website people can see, correct?
    This is correct
    Well this is true if I go to http://192.168.0.111 which is my server's IP address. But if I misunderstand the network dynamics isn't this IP just for my network and if ANYONE else tries it won't it just give them an DNS error? How do I have my website broadcasted with an actual unique IP?
    First you need to figure out your external IP (i.e. the IP address the internet sees). There are many ways to do this, but I use WhatIsMyIP.com. Click on that link, and it'll tell you your IP.

Once you've got this sorted, you need to configure your router to forward any requests to port 80 (the port apache normally listens on) to 192.168.0.111 (the internal IP address of your server). The way you do this will depend on your router, but normally this is accomplished by using a browser to go to 192.168.0.1, which brings you to your router's configuration page.

If you've done that correctly, you should be able to see your website using the IP address you found off whatismyip.com.

The next step after this is to go to DynDNS to register for a free domain name. I use this for the site in my signature. This is especially helpful if your IP address is dynamic.

Good luck!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thank you! I didn't realize it could be that easy. I assume its working, but I can't really tell until someone else tries it because all my computers are hooked up to the network and would show the site anyway.
    But, if you visit here: This is a test do you see my page? Yes, its primitive, but it was what it stated. A test.

Well, Now I'm having a problem with my portage tree, but I'll post that in a new topic later. Thanks for the help!

Thank you! I didn't realize it could be that easy. I assume its working, but I can't really tell until someone else tries it because all my computers are hooked up to the network and would show the site anyway.
    But, if you visit here: This is a test do you see my page? Yes, its primitive, but it was what it stated. A test.
    Yes, I see it! It says "this is a test" with a link to "this page two"!

Well done!

Now you need to go to dyndns.org like I said, and sort yourself out with a free domain name.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    I would go with DynDNS but I prefer no-ip because I like the example.bounceme.net domain better than any of the ones on DynDNS.
    Thanks for all the help!

And If you can, attempt to help me at my new post:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gen...age-error.html