Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm currently running Ubuntu and trying to get Gentoo up (for the umpteenth time - I've been on these forums before). Anyway, since I've been through the process a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Unable to install wireless-tools

Hi,

I'm currently running Ubuntu and trying to get Gentoo up (for the umpteenth time - I've been on these forums before). Anyway, since I've been through the process a bunch already, it went fairly smoothly up until my attempts at trying to get wireless networking up and running on my laptop.

The link in the handbook for reference:

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Wireless Networking

So basically this is what I've got going. Hopefully someone can tell me why this is happening and how to fix it:

Code:
    GPAC-laptop / # emerge net-wireless/wireless-tools
    Calculating dependencies... done!
    >>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) net-wireless/wireless-tools-28 to /
     * wireless_tools.28.tar.gz RMD160 ;-) ...                                [ ok ] * wireless_tools.28.tar.gz SHA1 ;-) ...                                  [ ok ] * wireless_tools.28.tar.gz SHA256 ;-) ...                                [ ok ] * wireless_tools.28.tar.gz size ;-) ...                                  [ ok ] * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                      [ ok ] * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                     [ ok ] * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                    [ ok ] * checking wireless_tools.28.tar.gz ;-) ...                              [ ok ]>>> Unpacking source...
    >>> Unpacking wireless_tools.28.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wireless-tools-28/work
    >>> Source unpacked.
    >>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wireless-tools-28/work/wireless_tools.28 ...
    cp wireless.20.h wireless.h
    i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror -march=i686 -pipe -MMD    -fPIC -c -o iwlib.so iwlib.c
    i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror -march=i686 -pipe -MMD    -c iwconfig.c
    i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror -march=i686 -pipe -MMD    -c iwlist.c
    cc1: warnings being treated as errors
    iwconfig.c: In function 'set_info':
    iwconfig.c:677: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    iwconfig.c:1067: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    iwconfig.c:1102: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    make: *** [iwconfig.o] Error 1
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

!!! ERROR: net-wireless/wireless-tools-28 failed.
    Call stack:
      ebuild.sh, line 1615:   Called dyn_compile
      ebuild.sh, line 972:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
      ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
      wireless-tools-28.ebuild, line 38:   Called die

!!! emake failed
    !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
    !!! A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wireless-tools-28/temp/build.log'.
    Also, in Ubuntu Dapper right now my gateway device for internet is eth1. What is the difference between eth1 and eth0? Is there any harm in using eth0 in Gentoo and eth1 in Ubuntu?

Thanks!

- GPAC

$Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Linux User
    I looked at it, and it said this:

"gcc.info claims that -fstrict-aliasing is implied by -Wall, but this is
    apparently wrong -- adding -fstrict-aliasing to our standard warning flags
    gives the same warnings. -Os gives it since -Os is more like -O2 than -O,
    and gcc.info's claim that -fstrict-aliasing is implied by -O2 is apparently
    not wrong."

Otherwise, I don't really understand what's going on with the link you gave me. If anyone else has some idea as to how to fix this problem, I would love to hear it.

- GPAC

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    This is just a wild guess, since I am also new to Gentoo, but did you set your CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf?
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Installing the Gentoo Installation Files
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux User
    Well well well, I did something I'm not particularly proud of, but it solved it. In my CFLAGS I removed my -Wall -Werror tags and it worked. However I'm not so sure that was the best idea, as error (and warning) messages are supposed to be seen right? One thing I learned in programming class (I'm a I-just-finished-first-year-C++-programming student) was to always compile with -Werror and -Wall messages to catch any sneaky code issues.

So what do you think, should I put the tags in again and figure out why I got the messages, or continue with it all? Also, the tags are out now, but should I put them back in for later compilations?

EDIT:

1) In Ubuntu Dapper right now my gateway device for internet is eth1. What is the difference between eth1 and eth0? Is there any harm in using eth0 in Gentoo and eth1 in Ubuntu?

2)

In the manual, this is there example code (Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Wireless Networking) :

Code:
    key_ESSID1="[1] s:yourkeyhere key [1] enc open"
    key_ESSID2="[1] aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dd key [1] enc restricted"

preferred_aps=( "ESSID1" "ESSID2" )
    The following is what I have in my /etc/conf.d/net file for wireless networking :

Code:
    key_HOCKEY="[1] 1234567890 key [1] enc open"
    #key_ESSID2="[1] aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dd key [1] enc restricted"

# define a preferred order to connect in
    preferred_aps=( "HOCKEY" )
    Question is: Am I supposed to change what they have, ESSID1 with my preferred SSID, or is it supposed to stay as ESSID1? (Also note that those are not really the networks I'm going to use )

With the flags I would leave them in place and try to fix the problem, the link was just for a temporary fix until you could find the cause of your problem. With the ESSID that is your SSID name for wireless connectivity. That SSID must match the one you gave your wireless network on your wireless router or it will not be able to communicate with one another. With teh eth0 and eth1 those are different network cards. Normally one goes to internal network and one out to the internet, just all depends on how you have your network setup.
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Linux User
    Well I ended up taking the flags out and compiling everything last night. I'll be sure to put them back in though. Anyway, when I rebooted none of the OS's worked, so I had to change some stuff in grub.conf, and now, when I try to run Gentoo (Ubuntu and Windows work fine) I get the following error:

Code:
    VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb4" or unknown-block(0,0)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    So at the moment I'm going to google this, but any ideas as to what this is?

EDIT: This is what I have for gentoo in grub.conf

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.20-r8
    root (hd1,2) [aka sdb3, which is my Gentoo root partition]
    kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.19-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/sdb4 [sdb4 is my / partition]

Try to get a live linux disk (like knoppix or else) and boot from that. After that try to check that partitions with fsck. If it's all ok chroot this partitions and try to renew the boot loader (also look in lilo.conf or menu.lst). Other than that you might find a better solution elseware, but that is what I would do. The only other thing I can think of is that you must know the correct place to look in order for it to look for that mount. For example some make the mistake of installing Grub in the boot secter of their LFS partition while the Grub that handled the startup is installed into the MBR. So you kind of have to know your own system so its kind of a hard problem for others to fix.
    $Billz

Linux User
    I'm not sure what the LSF partition is, but I installed grub on hd0 which is where my Windows C: partition resides.

Which doing that is fine, just make sure they aren't both primary because windows throughs a hissy fit. I think they said to put the grub in an extended partition, but I cant remember. Did you defrag your windows before hand because that is normal precautions to take because some of your files are all the way over to the right, which normally linux moves, but you should defrag just to be safe. Also make sure you create a swap partition, don't have to, but highly recommended. And LFS is just an acronym for Linux From Scrath, not a particular partition, sorry!
    $Billz