Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just installed a new system following this guide Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux x86 Quick Install Guide I had root (/mnt/gentoo) on /dev/hda4, boot (/mnt/gentoo/boot) on /dev/hda1, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

issues booting into new system

Hello,
    I just installed a new system following this guide
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux x86 Quick Install Guide

I had root (/mnt/gentoo) on /dev/hda4, boot (/mnt/gentoo/boot) on /dev/hda1, swap on /dev/hda2, and /mnt/gentoo/usr on /dev/hda3. (I put usr on a separate partition as previously I've had issues ('segmentation fault') when unpacking portage which having usr on a different partition seemed to fix, although it might have been because I was unpacking stage3 at the same time.)

Anyway. I did it from stage3 by downloading and unpacking the stage3 archive, I don't want to do it from stage 1 or 2.

When I got to the point in the guide where I've done 'make menuconfig' and verified that all the options are ok, I then did as it says which is to do 'make -j2'. It took hours and hours, and eventually I noticed it wasn't doing anything as it had been doing one line (can't remember exactly what but it was along the lines of "LD ... something something.... video.o" so I Ctrl-C'ed it. I then just did 'make' and it finished in under a minute, apparently successfully.

I then installed reiserfsprogs, grub without issues, unmounted and rebooted, and when it rebooted it came up with the grub loader successfully where you choose the operating system to boot ('Gentoo'), but after that it just rebooted again. and again, and it would have gone on in a continual cycle of getting to the grub screen and rebooting if I hadn't stopped it.

What have I done wrong? What does the "-j2" option do on the make of the kernel? Will the fact that I tried to do "make -j2" and then stopped it and then just did "make" have affected it? Is my kernel buggered?

Also is it possible to rescue it without having to go through the whole process of downloading and unpacking and whatnot all over again?

Thanks for any help!

I personally have never used the quick install guide before so I am not sure how the "time" or "make -j2" goes into doing this.
    But you could try chrooting in and going back to the point where you execute "make menuconfig", the do "make && make modules_install".

Before doing that though post the grub.conf file.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Yeah, I would suggest using the full guide to install Gentoo. The quick install is for veteran gentoo users who know the handbook and just need the commands.

Your kernel probably didn't compile right because you stopped it, and then did something else to it.

Just do what budman said to fix it.

I used gentoo for years btw, and never found a need for the quick install.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The '-j2' in 'make -j2' only runs another make process, so instead of running 1 (as it normally would), you are running 2. I see nothing wrong with this, hell even the Gentoo install guide suggests that 'MAKEOPTS="-j2"' should be added to you make.conf (if you have a single core cpu). I doubt the addition of -j2 made any difference whatsoever (it might have sped it up, but...)

gruven, following your suggestion, don't you think that it would be a good idea for him to backup his .config file, make clean, make mrproper, copy his .config file back into the source directory then make && make modules_install?

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman View Post
    The '-j2' in 'make -j2' only runs another make process, so instead of running 1 (as it normally would), you are running 2. I see nothing wrong with this, hell even the Gentoo install guide suggests that 'MAKEOPTS="-j2"' should be added to you make.conf (if you have a single core cpu). I doubt the addition of -j2 made any difference whatsoever (it might have sped it up, but...)

gruven, following your suggestion, don't you think that it would be a good idea for him to backup his .config file, make clean, make mrproper, copy his .config file back into the source directory then make && make modules_install?

weed
    A lot of programs only compile properly with -j1, so the ebuild modifies that. The kernel is compiled manually though, so -j2 could cause problems.

Yes, copy the .config out of the folder, make clean, make mrproper, and then copy the .config back, make oldconfig, then make && make modules_install would get him back to where he needs to be.
    Code:
    cp /usr/src/linux/.config /usr/src/.config
    make clean
    make mrproper
    cp /usr/src/.config /usr/src/linux/.config
    make oldconfig
    make && make modules_install
    Those are the commands.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry