Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all, is there a way to install a gentoo system from the minimal CD, more specifically a stage3 system with 2.6.21.3 (4 or 5) kernel. Secondly, while using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First time with Gentoo issues

First of all, is there a way to install a gentoo system from the minimal CD, more specifically a stage3 system with 2.6.21.3 (4 or 5) kernel.

Secondly, while using my laptop, for some reason I have sound and everything as root, but as the other users I have nothing.

I'd like to put higher priority on the first only because I want to use something more stable then the CD. Through forum surfing and word of mouth, it seems like the live-cd has a crappy install.

When the Gentoo liveCD installer came out it was supposed to be pretty bad at its job. I don't know if it has improved any in the last year or so, but it might be more stable now.

A Gentoo system can be a bit of a pain in the ass to install (IMHO), but I think it's worth it. You'll need a good internet connection and the patience to type in a lot of bash commands (unless you try the liveCD installer).
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

I always used an Ubuntu CD (because it detected and configured my wireless card) to install gentoo with. Then, I downloaded the kernel sources from kernel.org, patched them myself, and used that kernel for my gentoo install. You can use whatever kernel you want. That is one of the best things about gentoo. You are not limited on anything really.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    First of all, could someone give me some no brainer instructions as to do a stage3 install using the minimal CD. I currently can't find my livecd and I am at work with a bandwith limit (however I do have my laptop).

alternatively, I would be wiling to do the Ubuntu method, however I would prefer to just go with the Stage3 install.

Just Joined!
    At home I have a good internet connection....I forgot to mention that

Quote Originally Posted by chaotixmonjuish View Post
    First of all, could someone give me some no brainer instructions as to do a stage3 install using the minimal CD. I currently can't find my livecd and I am at work with a bandwith limit (however I do have my laptop).

alternatively, I would be wiling to do the Ubuntu method, however I would prefer to just go with the Stage3 install.
    You do a stage 3 within the ubuntu environment. You don't have to have the gentoo livecd to do it. All the gentoo livecd is is an environment to create another environment on your hard drive. You can get that from pretty much any livecd. With the ubuntu livecd though, you have access to your wireless cards and such.

I would suggest visiting Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News and printing out their handbook, which a stage 3 is all they support. It will take a little while to print it out, but if you reinstall all the time it would be nice. This seems to be what you are looking for, because it would take a while for us to track down all of the instructions and links for you.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    ROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5 failed.
    Call stack:
    ebuild.sh, line 1630: Called dyn_setup
    ebuild.sh, line 702: Called qa_call 'pkg_setup'
    ebuild.sh, line 38: Called pkg_setup
    ati-drivers-8.32.5.ebuild, line 84: Called linux-mod_pkg_setup
    linux-mod.eclass, line 459: Called linux-info_pkg_setup
    linux-info.eclass, line 554: Called die

!!! Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version

I've gotten sound and pretty much everything else going.....I'm having a hard time emerging ATI drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotixmonjuish View Post
    ROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5 failed.
    Call stack:
    ebuild.sh, line 1630: Called dyn_setup
    ebuild.sh, line 702: Called qa_call 'pkg_setup'
    ebuild.sh, line 38: Called pkg_setup
    ati-drivers-8.32.5.ebuild, line 84: Called linux-mod_pkg_setup
    linux-mod.eclass, line 459: Called linux-info_pkg_setup
    linux-info.eclass, line 554: Called die

!!! Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version

I've gotten sound and pretty much everything else going.....I'm having a hard time emerging ATI drivers.
    Did you get this error while running Gentoo or a LiveCD?
    I think if your not using Gentoo during this build, thats why it can't determine the Kernel version. I had a similar problem when I was trying to emerge madwifi, and I couldn't use Gentoo, because my Wireless didn't work.
    If nothing else works you could always download the ATI driver from their website and use that.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I think I'm going to give up on Gentoo for now....the package manager is too much of a pain and the lack of wireless is hard.