Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, No long ago I have installed Gentoo for the first time. I have used the official handbook guide on Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News . Everything went fine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

display resolution problem

hello,
    No long ago I have installed Gentoo for the first time. I have used the official handbook guide on Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News. Everything went fine. I have installed X and gnome-light (both installed correctly).
    Now... I have generated the xorg.conf automatically, and everything works. I have set the resolution manually (max 1600x1200), but when I restart, the only option in Gnome Screen Resolution is 800x600. I have an nvidia GeForce 448 Go 64Mb with nv driver and an LCD monitor (laptop). I had a similar problem with Debian but I fixed it by adding the resolution to xorg.conf. Why doesn't it work with Gentoo? Thanks
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for clues

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

thanks, but I've found the solution - just installed the proprietary drivers, and everything is fine now.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tvilkov View Post
    thanks, but I've found the solution - just installed the proprietary drivers, and everything is fine now.
    Hi It was nice to know you got yours to work. I am struggling here. I have Intel GMA3000 onboard graphic based on Q965 chipset. Will this "proprietary driver you installed work for this chipset?

Im runing Linux Suse 10 and the screen resolution currently on 800x600. I believe thats suse's default settings, If I try changing the screen resolution to anything else the screen turns pink! How do I fix this? Where do I get the drivers from? Or if any setting I need to change?

If you can give me some clues! that'll be appreciated!

hey there! I have an nvidia card (and nvidia chipset), so no - the nvidia drivers will not work on anything other than nvidia cards. Also, I think that Intel has made their graphics cards drivers open source (I am not sure on this). Check that you have the appropriate driver selected in your xorg.conf
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64