Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to put gentoox or xebian on my xbox for a project and I need some information before I begin. My first and main question is what would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xbox mod chip compatibility

I want to put gentoox or xebian on my xbox for a project and I need some information before I begin. My first and main question is what would be the best mod chip for me to buy for this project? Is the chip fully compatible for Linux? I dont want to buy a chip that wont support a Linux install. Any info would be appreciated.

Are you sure you want to do this?? You do realise that you will not be able to play X BOX games. Hardware methods stop you from playing XBOX games, whereas the Software Preperation method will still let you play XBOX games.

If I were you, you should try the non-chip method. This involves getting the game MechAssault (even just for rent), which you make a gamesave then you don't need it. Don't take the advice from me, have a look Here

DONT do the hardware method, unless you want to convert your XBOX into a linux PC...

Regards,
    Dan
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Just Joined!

danvds3 reply

I found out that I had a friend that mods xbox's for a living and he installed the new xbox dashboard without the mod chip but I do want to turn my xbox into a linux pc because I have big plans for that xbox which involes me making it into a small linux dhcp server/router. The plans sound rather ambitious and I have no clue if it will even work. I will have to do a lot of reseach on many different topics before I start. I appreciate the advice on the modchip and I hope you would be able to help me out more in the future.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Right, so you're not bothered about gaming, considering that they're cheaper than computers anyway...... hey.......SO THEY ARE! well that isn't a half-bad idea. Get researching, you have a long way to go. I suggest you take a look at networking and user-interface. You'll need some sort of keyboard, mouse and ability to control a network. I then suggest you take a look at the functionality of Xbox Linux builds, See what they have in store. Of course if you wreck your XBOX, it works like a normal linux build, just format the partition and reinstall. Of course, thats where backups come in handy

Good luck,
    Dan
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Just Joined!
    Hey there,

I have had a lot of experience with linux on the xbox. If you dont have a version 1.6 xbox then do not buy a mod chip. I undertook an ambitious project just like yourself with an xbox, which has a faulty dvd drive bought of ebay for 15. That is all i paid for it. To get it booting Gentoox you must first flash the TSOP with Gentoox loader, which involves some really simple soldering and then follow this guide:

ShALLaX.com Forums :: View topic - HOWTO: Fully Native

My xbox now works as a samba/ftp file server and an always on bittorrent client so i can give my expensive pc a few nights off. All of it is configured by web interface and was setup with ssh. I use webmin for my file server and an azureus webui for my bittorrent. I am currently trying to add a wireless AP (B only due to usb 1.1) to its function list.

If you need any help/advice on this subject I have a lot of experience and am willing to help.

Just Joined!
    thx for the info. I honestly dont know what version of the xbox I have. I bought it a few years ago and it was used so i dont know how old it truely is. I have flashxp and used it to setup the xbox dashboard and I believe I dont need a mod chip for it. I do however have to set up a keyboard and mouse but that should be fairly easy. I still have to do some research on DHCP protocols on wireless technology because I really want to turn my xbox into a mini dhcp server it possible. I'll download gentoox now, I thought I already had it but I guess I was wrong. One quick question; will virtual consoles like VMWare and Xen work with an xbox box distro and would I have to buy a new hard drive for it?

Just Joined!
    Yes any software that works on linux for x86 works on xbox linux. So Vmware will work. I take it you are tying to run windows on top of linux, why? This will seriously slow your server down and pretty much take away all the fun of configuring linux.
    You could leave your xbox hard drive in but its only 8/10gb. If you need more then an upgrade is easy enough.
    I assume you want to keep the xbox dashboard on there and run linux by running an xbe? If you really are willing to remove (reversibly) the game playing function of the xbox by flashing the tsop with gentoox loader/cromwell and turn it into a linux only machine the results are sooo much better. Running it through a dashboard on an original hard drive requires a loopback file, which are quite slow. Like i said before xboxs that are version 1.6 cant be tsop flashed. To find out what version you have:

Xbox Version Detection

good luck.

Just Joined!
    If I throw VMWare into my XBox I won't put windows in it. I was going to use Coyote or Devil Linux to help act as my router/dhcp server but I have research on how to make 2 distros communicate in that mannor. If I use Coyote the I will also be using the Coyote firewall and if I go with Devil then I will try the Sentry Firewall. Is it necessary to buy the $100.00 80 gig hard drive or will any western digital hard drive work? I could get my hands on a 80 gig w/d without paying a cent... yes I am cheap. All of my plans are still in the research and development stage and once I gather all the materials I need then I will start doing the hard core work. Also I am not worried about my xbox not playing games because I don't even use it anymore and since I heard K.O.T.O.R 3 isn't going to be on the xbox I won't have any need for it.

Just Joined!
    If you dont intend to boot it using xbe in a dashboard but intend to do the (muchly recommended way) TSOP flash or mod chip then any hard drive will work. I have a WD in mine actually. If you do intend to boot from a softmod then its a bit trickier since the xbox bios needs the hard drive to be locked on boot up and if your hard drive doesnt support this then you're buggered.
    Thats quite cool with the vmware dns thingy but i still think you shouldn't use vmware for it and try and install one yourself on gentoox (or xebian, which I have now switched to easy of kernel recompiling) for performance reasons.