Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Intel integrated audio card Code: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02) on my laptop. I am able to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller microphone problem

I have an Intel integrated audio card
    Code:
     00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    on my laptop.

I am able to use it to play music but unable to use the microphone for input. I have tried the kernel with the drivers and the drivers from the ALSA site. Nothing works for the microphone. This seems to be a problem for a lot of people with this type of card(google says so), but nobody seems to have a definitive answer on how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Intel HDA Audio on my laptop as well, and I got the microphone to work once. I used the in-kernel drivers if I remember correctly. I just set it up normally with alsaconf to get it to work.

Of course, I have only done it once.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Can you tell me the kernel version ?

Sorry I am not much help here, but let me see if I can remember.

I think it was 2.6.20 or 2.6.21 vanilla sources from kernel.org. I want to say it was 2.6.20.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I have the same built in audio card. I have an hp laptop dv2125LA and am trying to get the microphones to work. I use fedora 6 and GNOME. It would be much appreciated to have some steps to configure the mic.

many thanks

All I did was configure the sound card with alsaconf, and then setup ekiga, and I was surprised when the mic worked. The built-in webcam worked for a while, but lately it just shows a blue screen while on. I guess I need to work on that soon.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    I have the Intel HDA Audio on my laptop as well, and I got the microphone to work once. I used the in-kernel drivers if I remember correctly. I just set it up normally with alsaconf to get it to work.

Of course, I have only done it once.
    I have this built-in sound card in my Thinkpad, I have the following modules loaded and have not run into any problems with it.
    Code:

snd_hda_codec_analog       53456   1 
    snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi    11004   0 
    snd_mixer_oss                     13152   0 
    snd_seq_oss                        23136   0 
    snd_seq_midi_event              5380   1  snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq                               40780   4  snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device                     5596   2  snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_hwdep                            6096   1  snd_hda_codec
    snd_timer                             16324   2  snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_hda_intel                      22956   3 
    snd_hda_codec                    55996   3  snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi
                                                                ,snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel
    snd_pcm                               57576   2  snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    snd                                       44380 17  snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_mixer_oss
                                                                ,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device
                                                                ,snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel
                                                                ,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep
                                                                ,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    snd_page_alloc                     7296   2  snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

I'm running a custom-built kernel (based on2.6.31) as I want "aufs" which is a patch to the kernel at this point in time.